Picked this little guy up and a few others

20190924_104313.jpg

I'm sorry, dear Americans, but you had 50 years to save the many fuselage c-bodies rotting on junkyards. Why do not you begrudge the Europeans some fun? At least here most of them try to restore the C-Bodys perfectly and to preserve them as an automotive heritage. Among other things, cars are being restored, which some Americans probably would have rather used for demolition derbies. I see no problems there, except in some cases a little offended national pride ...

Greetings from Germany

Last edited:
I don't believe anybody is offended, unless you're offended. If people here in the US sell them and you pay for them, why should I begrudge that? We should direct our anger on the seller not the buyer. But why bother? The seller could care less...you paid his price and the shipping. He's happy, and so are you.

As far as rotting in junkyards...

When these cars became "outdated", nobody wanted them. Nobody wanted B or E bodies either. I've seen many a B bodies turned into dirt track cars, and e bodies too.
For most folks they were "junky old Mopars" or worse. You could buy them for a song. I bought a '69 Roadrunner #s matching and running for 400 bucks. Needed a a whole left side. I bought a 70 Barracuda convertible shell for 1500 bucks.

I digress, this is about C bodies. Nobody wants to race a car with a serious weight problem. So racers took out the big engines and grafted them into smaller bodies.
They were also tough cars and that's why demo guys used them. Apparently Europeans don't have demolition derbies? It's American as burgers and fries here in the US.
Most were rotted from road salt, but examples of senior citizens keeping them in a garage for 30 years still surface, and these cars are cherished, and lovingly preserved. And cars that weren't quite so lucky are being pulled out of the weeds to be rebuilt.
I pulled mine from from a storage barn, and it was complete but badly neglected. Thank goodness parts are now available that were not so easily found 40 years ago.

Last edited:
View attachment 321405
I'm sorry, dear Americans, but you had 50 years to save the many fuselage c-bodies rotting on junkyards. Why do not you begrudge the Europeans some fun? At least here most of them try to restore the C-Bodys perfectly and to preserve them as an automotive heritage. Among other things, cars are being restored, which some Americans probably would have rather used for demolition derbies. I see no problems there, except in some cases a little offended national pride ...

Greetings from Germany
Hello Olaf! Good to see you posting on the forum, the '73 is beautiful, and I'm glad my parts found a good home!

Hello Olaf! Good to see you posting on the forum, the '73 is beautiful, and I'm glad my parts found a good home!
Hello and thx! The parts from u indeed helped a lot. Car is gettin more and more useable as a daily. At the moment it is rather uncomfortable to be called a climate terrorist when driving.
:rofl:

we are excellent climate terrorists:lol:

But actually we aren't.
I don't buy any modern cars and just use the old ones I have.
No need to manufacture something new means taking care of the worldwide resources of the planet:)

Carsten

we are excellent climate terrorists:lol:

But actually we aren't.
I don't buy any modern cars and just use the old ones I have.
No need to manufacture something new means taking care of the worldwide resources of the planet:)

Carsten
Hello Carsten or Oliver or whatever ...! :rolleyes: I completely agree with you! Strangely enough, I do not know anyone in my circle of friends and acquaintances who would disagree. Apparently I made the right choice ...:)

cars are being restored, which some Americans probably would have rather used for demolition derbies.
There is some truth to that but I think there are a growing number of Cbody fanatics in Canada and the US. That is just the gut feel I get from seeing more of our cars at shows and cruise nights. On a per capita basis however the Scandinavians and Germans have us beat hands down. The weirdness of the European interest never ceases to amaze me. Over the last several weeks I've been driving my sister-in-laws little car here in Austria using some road roads narrower than my driveway at home in Canada. I can't imagine the attraction of our landyachts on European roads.

View attachment 321405

Greetings from Germany
I’d buy them all and keep them here if I could.:usflag:

There is some truth to that but I think there are a growing number of Cbody fanatics in Canada and the US. That is just the gut feel I get from seeing more of our cars at shows and cruise nights. On a per capita basis however the Scandinavians and Germans have us beat hands down. The weirdness of the European interest never ceases to amaze me. Over the last several weeks I've been driving my sister-in-laws little car here in Austria using some road roads narrower than my driveway at home in Canada. I can't imagine the attraction of our landyachts on European roads.

They are headturner no matter where you go. :steering:With their mostly retrofitted twin-flow exhaust systems, they are usually more likely to be heard than to see and not infrequently drown out many a Harley. :lol:I think they are more than worth preserving and driving. No matter where in the world ...:usflag::canada:

Fred,

Austria is not a nice&cheap place for old cars and exspecially old American cars in general as cars get taxed by horsepower. No exceptions for classics.
If you would be up in Sweden in July you could be at a lot of car shows which are "classic American cars only"-shows and they have 5-15.000 classic cars attending. You would be impressed. Trust me.

I love it and it is great to have a 99% classic car only show (so no modern cars at all)

Carsten

Hello and thx! The parts from u indeed helped a lot. Car is gettin more and more useable as a daily. At the moment it is rather uncomfortable to be called a climate terrorist when driving.
:rofl:

People confront you and give you a hard time for driving an old polluter?

Nobody wants to race a car with a serious weight problem. So racers took out the big engines and grafted them into smaller bodies.
They were also tough cars and that's why demo guys used them. Apparently Europeans don't have demolition derbies? It's American as burgers and fries here in the US.

Demo derbies do exist over here as well but I think the post war US Military guys stationed in Europe "culitivated" it here, just like drag racing.
For some reason they are confusingly called stock car races. Just as Auto Cross is something completely different here than in the US.
They even have Trailer races, cars are of course the run of the mill stuff that was sold in Europe. Not my Kind of Sport I guess.

People confront you and give you a hard time for driving an old polluter?

Yes, more recently. :elmer: There are currently some spiritually contaminated environmental activists who say if they harass other people, they would save the climate ...:mob:

Back