Pixel´s 1972 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupe

Someone asked me if the wooden console in the middle of the back seat is original.
42622437yo.png

I have not seen this myself before. Seems to be very rare. In the brochures are also always shown only the front seats.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1972/72_Fury0009.jpg

Do you have pictures of other Gran Coupe / Gran Sedan with these seats and the wooden console?

I have seen your car on Facebook :)
Thanks for your congrats.

I mean the conversion for our german roads. Since all headlights need the European approval marks. And the American yellow front parking lights are unfortunately not allowed in our country.

Greetings
Pixel
Do they custom make red lens for the parking lights?

It seems to be very rare.

PP23M2D142139
had its E3Y5 interior badly redone so can’t provide an answer.

@TNTrooper428 owns PP23U2D175325 aka Uncle Charlie’s Fury. Interior for the Brougham is G5X9 — buddy seats and again no dice. No wood panel.

—> so many sub models and so many subtle variations!

Last edited:
Someone asked me if the wooden console in the middle of the back seat is original.

I have not seen this myself before. Seems to be very rare. In the brochures are also always shown only the front seats.

Do you have pictures of other Gran Coupe / Gran Sedan with these seats and the wooden console?

Bucket seat equipped Fury's had the woodgrain panel in the rear seat in 1972 and '73.

Not the best quality, but here's a picture of a '73 Gran Coupe.

IMG_4912.JPG

Jeff

https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/1972-plymouth-fury-gran-coupe.39605/
—> so many sub models and so many subtle variations!

Plymouth did strange things in 1972 and 1973.

You could order the Gran Coupe/Gran Sedan interior as an option on the Fury III. You could also order the hidden headlamps as an option in '72 on the Fury III. Adding those options on a Fury III gave you a car that was almost identical to the Gran Coupe/Sedan with the exception of some exterior trim items. It would be interesting to know what the price difference would be for the Fury III with the extras vs the base price for the Gran.

Jeff

Do they custom make red lens for the parking lights?

The orange front parking lights must be white in Germany. So now a white parking light is installed with in the top of the headlight at the low beam.

The only problem that really bothers me. Is that in the first switch position the parking light behind the flaps goes on. But the flaps remain closed *laugh*.
The lower orange lights are now only turn Signals. I'm thinking of somehow rebuild the caps themselves. Best with a transparent disc. Then I build behind it a white parking light and an orange bulb for the turn signal.

If the German TÜV also what against the red Brake Lights [edit: red turn signals] rear has. Unfortunately, these must also be converted. (but the man in the workshop said, until the end of the 70s it works mostly with the red Brake Light[edit: turn signals], I hope so)

Last edited:
@ayilar and @bigmoparjeff

frenzy, this woodgrain panel seems to be really rare.

If someone happens to come across a few pictures. You can post them here with pleasure.

These woodgrain panel were aiso available earlier. Here is a picture of my '71 Sport Fury, also high bucket seats...

sportfury71j.JPG

The orange front parking lights must be white in Germany. So now a white parking light is installed with in the top of the headlight at the low beam.

The only problem that really bothers me. Is that in the first switch position the parking light behind the flaps goes on. But the flaps remain closed *laugh*.
Unless you often park the Fury on unlit country roads, I'd say the actual use of parking lights is pretty limited.

To avoid discussions with your TÜV inspector I think it makes sense to turn on the headlights, disconnect the headlight door motor so the headlight doors stay open, then drive to tech inspection like this. That way you should be able to avoid discussions with your tech inspector about the headlight doors preventing the parking lights (which are now inside the converted headlights) to be seen.

Pixel said:
The lower orange lights are now only turn Signals. I'm thinking of somehow rebuild the caps themselves. Best with a transparent disc. Then I build behind it a white parking light and an orange bulb for the turn signal.
Unfortunately, there were only amber colored lenses for 1972 Furys. If this is a project you really want to pursue, note that there are dual color LED bulbs (white parking light, amber turn signal). On here there is a thread somewhere that explains them. These need a new LED-suitable electronic turn signal flasher, but that's quite an affordable item. So that might be something to consider, although said dual-color LED bulbs may not be street legal in Germany.

Pixel said:
If the German TÜV also what against the red Brake Lights rear has. Unfortunately, these must also be converted. (but the man in the workshop said, until the end of the 70s it works mostly with the red Brake Light, I hope so)
I assume you refer to red turn signals in the rear. If your TÜV inspector requires you to somehow make for amber turn signals in the rear, he might be a stickler and I recommend contacting a different TÜV until you find one who'll get your car exempted.

Unless you often park the Fury on unlit country roads, I'd say the actual use of parking lights is pretty limited.

To avoid discussions with your TÜV inspector I think it makes sense to turn on the headlights, disconnect the headlight door motor so the headlight doors stay open, then drive to tech inspection like this. That way you should be able to avoid discussions with your tech inspector about the headlight doors preventing the parking lights (which are now inside the converted headlights) to be seen.

That's right, you don't need it very often.
But since it is a rarity in our country to have a car with side lights. I will often have the parking light on, but the flaps should be closed.

We have already tried it. By the coming home function, the flaps remain open if you have the lights on, then turn off the ignition and press the light button to position 1.
Then the parking lights are on and the flaps remain open.

Unfortunately, there were only amber colored lenses for 1972 Furys. If this is a project you really want to pursue, note that there are dual color LED bulbs (white parking light, amber turn signal). On here there is a thread somewhere that explains them. These need a new LED-suitable electronic turn signal flasher, but that's quite an affordable item. So that might be something to consider, although said dual-color LED bulbs may not be street legal in Germany.

Thank you for the tip with the two-color LEDs. But exactly, this will 100% have no German road approval. But I may tackle the project.

I assume you refer to red turn signals in the rear. If your TÜV inspector requires you to somehow make for amber turn signals in the rear, he might be a stickler and I recommend contacting a different TÜV until you find one who'll get your car exempted.

That's right, I mean turn signals. I have changed it above.

The red turn signals are a must for me in the back. We will hopefully get it registered with some inspector.

Greeting Pixel

@TNTrooper428 owns PP23U2D175325 aka Uncle Charlie’s Fury. Interior for the Brougham is G5X9 — buddy seats and again no dice. No wood panel.

My error. I didn't read your post correctly. :confused:

It appears that you only got the panel in the rear seat with vinyl bucket seats. If you ordered the cloth bucket seats, which I believe were only available as part of the Brougham package, you did not get the contoured rear seat with the trim panel.

Crazy, if you ask me. :realcrazy:

img_0550-jpg.jpg

fury-window-sticker-1-jpg.jpg

This is confirmed by the photo of the rear seat for the green Gran Coupe with the green Brougham interior. Thanks to @68PK21 440.6bbl
185742895_4374515442579790_3317101093916582907_n-jpg.jpg

Odly, in 1970 on the Sport Fury, you got the contoured rear seat with the trim panel even with the standard front bench. Not sure if the cloth vs. vinyl rule applies here too. Same panel, just without the woodgrain sticker.
screenshot_20211212-170925_gallery-jpg.jpg

screenshot_20211212-170914_gallery-jpg.jpg

Jeff

My error. I didn't read your post correctly. :confused:

It appears that you only got the panel in the rear seat with vinyl bucket seats. If you ordered the cloth bucket seats, which I believe were only available as part of the Brougham package, you did not get the contoured rear seat with the trim panel.

Crazy, if you ask me. :realcrazy:

This is confirmed by the photo of the rear seat for the green Gran Coupe with the green Brougham interior. Thanks to @68PK21 440.6bbl

Odly, in 1970 on the Sport Fury, you got the contoured rear seat with the trim panel even with the standard front bench. Not sure if the cloth vs. vinyl rule applies here too. Same panel, just without the woodgrain sticker.

Jeff

Many thanks to you for your effort.

Since the grain wood panel really only existed with my vinyl bucket seats. I also noticed that it was much more common in the older models. Also with the convertibles. Let's see if I see more 72 Fury with the grain panel.

Note: I made another change in my first thread regarding the hidden headlights. I read here in the forum that they were optional.

Greetings Pixel

Beaufitul ride! Congratulations, and hope to see it someday in person (for example maybe at Race 61 near Potsdam).

As to the lights, strange. I thought we were in the EU, and we had similar laws. In Poland my 1971 Chrysler Newport Custom has all stock lights, even the orange front turn signals are lit up, and my rear turn signals are red. Over here it is all legal on cars from 70s and before.

That's a real shame that in Germany u have to convert. Even stranger since new BMW motorcycles like the R1250GS / or ADVENTURE models have the "crusing light" LED option which in other words means that the front turn signals are lit up in orange all the time. I work in a BMW dealership and this is a stock/production option. I wonder if it's the same in Germany, and if so, why would they bother to change the cars front orange marker lights. Dumb

Beaufitul ride! Congratulations, and hope to see it someday in person (for example maybe at Race 61 near Potsdam).

As to the lights, strange. I thought we were in the EU, and we had similar laws. In Poland my 1971 Chrysler Newport Custom has all stock lights, even the orange front turn signals are lit up, and my rear turn signals are red. Over here it is all legal on cars from 70s and before.

That's a real shame that in Germany u have to convert. Even stranger since new BMW motorcycles like the R1250GS / or ADVENTURE models have the "crusing light" LED option which in other words means that the front turn signals are lit up in orange all the time. I work in a BMW dealership and this is a stock/production option. I wonder if it's the same in Germany, and if so, why would they bother to change the cars front orange marker lights. Dumb

Hello Unix,

thank you very much for your congratulations. Yes, that would be great if you ever meet. I have not been to Race 61 yet. But that can change. Let's see if next year at all meetings take place #corona

To the lights. You have given me new hopes. I have called with the DEKRA and again with the TÜV. Both say in Germany not only white parking lights allowed. Really stupid....

Greetings Pixel

Concealed headlights were standard fare on the 1972 Gran Coupe/Gran Sedan from the start. They were (or later became) available as an option on the Fury III and Custom Suburban.

Last edited:
After a long search I finally ordered my California Blueplates as a repro on this site. You can even choose the stickers.

license-plates-shop

Today they arrived, was so to speak like Christmas 2.0.

Am very pleased

42779552rf.jpg

Back