Plymouth Fury I 1974 Sedan - interior: seats/door panel measures

lothar77

Reaction score
Due to the fact that I am in the process of complete refreshment of the interior and since I was not able to find HQ photos of the Fury I's interior, I asked my colleague to take measurements from the seats and door panels of another local car. I would like to share the visual result here. Maybe it could help somebody to solve the same issue with the interior that I currently have.
The photos do not claim to be super accurate, but they can provide a person with the general idea of how the interior can be reshaped relatively close to the original.

nmjw5a-3dyQ.jpg

hB5sEhSth_I.jpg

The link to the full photoarchive (more than 30 photos):

The link doesn't work for me, but I still would like to see those additional pictures.

The link doesn't work for me, but I still would like to see those additional pictures.

Hm, what if I put it this way? - imgur.com/gallery/zt97L0Z
Anyway below the spoiler there are all measurement photos in its limit of 20 pix. The mentioned above link also provide detailed look of the interior + some more photos.

REPNk1z.jpg

0ZNjc8w.jpg

2tIue1t.jpg

lly8KXs.jpg

SmhiZ0V.jpg

6jyKwRb.jpg

rpaUyei.jpg

QiRuW6V.jpg

pgVH5KZ.jpg

HLzO5Xq.jpg

RlEwPkR.jpg

IDW91vC.jpg

rP09L5l.jpg

aMevNVM.jpg

a1ol6fN.jpg

bc5lNVt.jpg

7BVwzCp.jpg

UdukkBl.jpg

92JmOPG.jpg

i2fysfo.jpg

It worked! Is that the interior of the black 1974 Fury I you once wrote about?

Is there anything known about its history, for instance, that it was once an embassy car?

Is there anything known about its history, for instance, that it was once an embassy car?

Unfortunately, I have no information about the car except the fact that it was imported into the country during the Soviet era as well as my vehicle. Both cars are almost alike so maybe they were of special order party. I've got to check the vin of the black one to confirm this idea.
What is really strange is that I wasn't really able to find a lot of photos/data related exactly to Fury I 74 series on the internet. The majority of the visual info and data found in the open source is dedicated to II & III series. Perhaps the situation looks like this because the I series vehicles were to utilitarian and daily and had no real significance for their owners, but that is just an assumption.

You're absolutely right! Even II's aren't mentioned that often. If it isn't a police car, a Fury I or II was hardly considered worth saving. Many, many of them were fleet cars, especially the I's. Those were the Plymouth answer to the Chevrolet Bel Air and Ford Custom 500. So far, I never came across a taxi, another low-down Fury.

That's what makes the I's so special today. At the moment, in several Fusie threads people are getting wild about such fleet cars. If you could manage the fender tag, that would be just great!

If it was imported during the Soviet era, it must have been for some agency, be it local or foreign.

You're absolutely right! Even II's aren't mentioned that often. If it isn't a police car, a Fury I or II was hardly considered worth saving. Many, many of them were fleet cars, especially the I's. Those were the Plymouth answer to the Chevrolet Bel Air and Ford Custom 500. So far, I never came across a taxi, another low-down Fury.

That's what makes the I's so special today. At the moment, in several Fusie threads people are getting wild about such fleet cars. If you could manage the fender tag, that would be just great!

If it was imported during the Soviet era, it must have been for some agency, be it local or foreign.

I see. It really makes sense. I hope I will be able to get a fender tag in not so distant future. The vehicle is 700km away from me and it was a quest even to get the photos placed above. We are in touch with the owner, but he is busy and doesn't have too much time to interact with the vehicle. All communications to get anything take days:-( While I was awaiting for the photos I came across a police Fury youtube video. I wonder why it is classified as of II series but looks like of the first one.

I wonder why it is classified as of II series but looks like of the first one.

The same thing is bothering me. On paper, ie. in the dealership databook, the difference between I and II is minimal: some external trim and carpets instead of vinyl in the passenger cabin make a II out o a I. Maybe it was more a marketing thing, with the I the outright fleet car offering and the II aimed at the penny-pinching private buyer. "Okay, so I bought this new Fury without any luxury appeal, but at least I didn't buy a fleet car."

The car shown in the video was ordered off a Fury II with some police equipment. You could do the same with a III. I think it all depended on how it worked out in the bid.

The same thing is bothering me. On paper, ie. in the dealership databook, the difference between I and II is minimal: some external trim and carpets instead of vinyl in the passenger cabin make a II out o a I. Maybe it was more a marketing thing, with the I the outright fleet car offering and the II aimed at the penny-pinching private buyer. "Okay, so I bought this new Fury without any luxury appeal, but at least I didn't buy a fleet car."

The car shown in the video was ordered off a Fury II with some police equipment. You could do the same with a III. I think it all depended on how it worked out in the bid.

Well, there is a logic in your point. It seems that the most common and simple trim line becomes a sort of a rarity. Unfortunately, I am not able to save the original engine and interior of mine vehicle. The are cracks on the engine block - possibly because it was used with water inside in the late USSR-years and the seats cover were already remade as well. So... I have what I have and even the sufficient expanses can't return the car the factory glory.

As we are dissecting Fury I and II, take a look at the steering wheel. According to the dealership databook they had a basic steering wheel of their own, without the vertical insert:

74_Fury_(06).jpg

And as a matter of fact the Peel Regional Police car in the video has this basic steering wheel.

But pictures of other cars (the two I's in Russia, one II from Montana Highway Patrol) show the up-market steering wheel for Fury III, Gran, Custom Suburban and Sport, "not available on other models":

PL41K4D211767-c.jpg

PL41K4D166197-k.jpg

1974-Montana-police-c.jpg

Three is a fair number, so I'd say the one with vertical insert was available on Fury I and II.

Having no original panels and seats we had to use only photos and official vehicle catalogue. We are aware that it is impossible to achieve the factory result, but at least the current progress with door panels and rear bench looks fine for summer daily driving.

640A4FD3-34EB-4912-A254-BBDC4B42B868.jpeg

EAE1A6C0-4FE7-4F7F-A8BD-852540E0868B.jpeg

BAA4B968-4896-4C2E-8B6B-8C4F62F1F6F4.jpeg

Back