Plymouth Fury II DE State Police edition

kmiele14

Reaction score
Hey new to this board. My Grandfather has a 1973 Plymouth Fury II, he is getting older and it has become more difficult for him to maintain the car. Honestly I am worried about the vehicle's condition. I would like to help him out in anyway. I know very little about this car. I need to help him weather strip the rear window ( it is leaking and damaging the interior). Any help is appreciated. Thank you for letting me be part of this forum.

Regards,

Kmiele14

I hope someone will chime in that KNOWS because I am only telling you what I have heard and that is that there is no weatherstripping in there but rather a sealer that the rear/back glass sits on against the steel. My guess is that you already have rust under the stainless trim and replacing the sealer/ weatherstripping will not help.
Any photos of the problem areas? How about of the car itself, it sounds intriguing,

I hope someone will chime in that KNOWS because I am only telling you what I have heard and that is that there is no weatherstripping in there but rather a sealer that the rear/back glass sits on against the steel. My guess is that you already have rust under the stainless trim and replacing the sealer/ weatherstripping will not help.
Any photos of the problem areas? How about of the car itself, it sounds intriguing,

I agree, my '70 Fury Pursuit needed some new metal where the rear glass sets it. Water sits there and thru the years it rusts thru. If you can lay in the trunk and look up at the metal that surrounds the rear window channel to confirm it.

Hey new to this board. My Grandfather has a 1973 Plymouth Fury II, he is getting older and it has become more difficult for him to maintain the car. Honestly I am worried about the vehicle's condition. I would like to help him out in anyway. I know very little about this car. I need to help him weather strip the rear window ( it is leaking and damaging the interior). Any help is appreciated. Thank you for letting me be part of this forum.

Regards,

Kmiele14
Welcome aboard , Kmiele. Glad to have you here and I think it's a wonderful thing you are doing in trying to help grand dad.

X2 Photo's please.

X2 Photo's please.

Here is the car, I will get pictures of the water damage once grandpa takes his make shift cover off the back.

IMG_20150615_102625.jpg

IMG_20150615_102633.jpg

IMG_20150615_102704.jpg

IMG_20150615_102714.jpg

Please check the speedometer to see if it says "CERTIFIED" on it.
Also a photo of the Data Plate on the radiator support would be awesome.

This type of thingy;
P1140015.JPG

Ugh that's one of the worst kinda repairs on earth. When I was in the resoration biz, we'd pull the glass and cut out the rot and fab/weld/mud. Horrible job to do. Look up POR15 they have some amazing products that are most likely really good. I only have experience with their rust paint but it was amazing stuff and seals off rust like nobody's business. I'm thinking their 2 part epoxy putty would be just what the doctor ordered for pop-pop's back winda. Check em out!

Now I just need to figure out how to stop the water from ruining this beauty. I want to do it right, just do not know much about cars. I'd feel terrible just plugging it up with some epoxy but it may be my only hope to keeping it from rusting out.

First, let's keep her inside. Second, pull the back glass and have a look ...... I'm betting she's still real good with one problem area

Now I just need to figure out how to stop the water from ruining this beauty. I want to do it right, just do not know much about cars. I'd feel terrible just plugging it up with some epoxy but it may be my only hope to keeping it from rusting out.

I think you're probably ok and the damage isnt that bad at all. I'm just seeing light surface rust on bare metal and more vinyl discoloration from sun than water damage. Hard to tell for sure though.

You gotta get her under a roof and get the glass out and dash and package tray out. Do it!!! before it gets bad!

attachment.php
is that rot holes along the edge or paint flaking off the seal?

Back