Polara_500 News

Polara_500_Jr

Reaction score
Evening all,
My name is Dave Muir, and I am Polara_500, Mike's son, if the handle didn't tip my hand there.
I know my dad was very active here, and considered a lot of guys here friends. He put me in touch with a few over the last week or so.

The bad news, dad passed away on Tuesday. He'd been fighting an extremely aggressive cancer and the treatment's simply could not keep up with it. I figured you all deserved to know.

His Polara's aren't going anywhere. I am reassembling the original 500, and will begin restoring the convertible as I can scrounge the money to do work on it. I'll be around here, hoping to get some of the wisdom in this group, some of it may have come from him anyway :)
Here's a link to the obituary,
Obituary for Michael David Muir | Stenshoel-Houske Funeral & Cremation Service

I will still have all of his manuals, ads and parts to deal with. Including a huge assortment of 80's Ram parts and trucks that I will be parting or selling, the Polara's have been my love since I was a child, but I would have preferred to only ride in them than have to take them over completely.

Thanks,

Dave.

Obituary
Michael “Mike” David Muir, a proud 20-year veteran of the US Navy, passed away August 17, 2021 in Crookston after a short battle with cancer.

A memorial service honoring the life of Mike will be held at 2:00 p.m., Friday, August 27, 2021, in the Stenshoel-Houske Funeral Home in Crookston, MN, with Celebrant Trey Everett, officiating. Visitation with the family will be for one hour prior to the service. Military Honors will be provided by the US Navy Funeral Honors Team and the Crookston Veterans Council.

Mike was born to David Elgin and Doris Mae (Lindberg) Muir of Crookston on September 18, 1953. He is survived by his devoted wife, Anne; loving children and stepchildren: David (Erica) Muir, Jacinda Muir, Nicole Wiley, Carrie Elina, and Nick (Liz) Elina; fantastic grandchildren Kirah Muir, Trevin Grande, Trissa Grande, Dustin Malvin, Lilly Malvin, Justin Wiley, Nathan Wiley, Natalie Wiley, Katelyn McCool, Lucas McCool, and Logan McCool; the greatest great-granddaughter, Luna Muir; his beloved sister, Catherine Muir; and niece, CJ Jurenic.

Despite his crusty exterior, cutting remarks and stubbornness, there is actual evidence that he was a loving, giving, and caring person. That evidence is the deep sorrow and pain in our hearts that his family feels from his passing…. Mike led a good life and had a peaceful death — but the transition was a *****. And for the record, he did not lose his battle with cancer. When he died, the cancer died, so technically it was a tie.

In lieu of flowers, donations are encouraged to the Veterans Memorial Park in Grand Forks.

The service will be livestreamed by logging on to www.stenshoelhouske.com, going to the bottom of Mike’s obituary page and clicking on the prompt to view.

So sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences to you and your family. I have to say that is a great honest obituary. Sounds like your family is going to be ok.

So sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences to you and your family. I have to say that is a great honest obituary. Sounds like your family is going to be ok.
That last paragraph was so him. And from what I am told, myself as well.

Dave, again, sorry for your loss. I love the honesty of the obituary, it was Mike to a tee.

Last edited:
Dave, sorry for your loss!

Salute to your Dad!!!

4d2680437cc0f13a8d65b30c0a2a85c9.jpg

Mike and I shared a passion for the 1965 Dodge Polara. However his knowledge was far superior to mine. He was truly my resource as I had many questions over the years. Mike was always willing to help and often would send pictures to give a visual aid which was extremely valuable. As Jay Leno says "When you purchase an old car you need to find a guy who knows the car" Mike was my guy. I will miss his knowledge. I will miss his know how. But mostly, I will miss my friend.

My condolences. As a fellow 65 polara owner your dad would often like or thumbs up a post of mine. We will miss him and welcome you on the forums.

Again Dave, sorry for your loss.
I am glad your Dad was somewhat local to me. We had a few good discussions, and met up a few times. There were many times when I was in search of parts or wondering how to do something that he would offer to send me some parts. One time he even sent me his spring wire winding tool to use when I was struggling winding the wire for my seats. I tried to buy it from him, but he wasn’t selling. Don’t ever loose that tool they are hard to come by.
See you around.
Marty

Again Dave, sorry for your loss.
I am glad your Dad was somewhat local to me. We had a few good discussions, and met up a few times. There were many times when I was in search of parts or wondering how to do something that he would offer to send me some parts. One time he even sent me his spring wire winding tool to use when I was struggling winding the wire for my seats. I tried to buy it from him, but he wasn’t selling. Don’t ever loose that tool they are hard to come by.
See you around.
Marty

Well Marty, you know where I am, and the parts and tools are still there/here as well :) I think I'll find some good people here and get these 2 cars back how they should be :) Next year's cruise night will have another Polara and one less 40 Ford :)

How early did you all start on your polara?

here’s dad teaching me my first car lesson.

this was taken in 1976

54E90386-4DDF-432E-B18C-37E107CE94D3.jpeg

Very sorry to hear about your loss Dave, I really enjoyed your father‘s participation on this thread. It never gets easy losing a loved one, I lost my dad in 2018 unexpectedly, and miss him every day. Holding onto the Polara certainly helps having a tangible connection to your dad. I have my father‘s 95 F150 that he bought brand new. It just rolled 346,000 miles, all original drive train, never been touched. Every day I drive it I know he’s with me.
Thoughts and prayers to you and the family.

I've only had mine for 6 years. Is this a 4 door hardtop?
It is. He got the 4 door in college in 73-74? Had that until he got the current 500 2 door. I actually found pictures of my ride home from the hospital after being born in this car... without a car set too!
First car ride was a Polara :) Glad I get to keep his cars on the road.

Mike jr
Really kicks me in the gut to hear about your dad.
It wasnt all that long ago that we were scheming to have some sort of C body get together in your neck of the woods.
Might have to make it some sort of Polara 500 memorial C body get together.

RIP Mike

Back