Polyglas

John, there's a mix of concrete and asphalt here out west. There's also some roadways that have been paved with an asphalt that contains rubber in it, resulting in a super-quiet ride in your car. It's quite nice.

Our roads are mostly asphalt. On the interstates, like the NYS Thruway, the surfaces are asphalt over a 60+ year old concrete surface.

The roads are patched often and resurfaced every few years. Quality of the resurfacing depends on how much the road gets used. The resurfacing is done on top of what ever is there. They have resurfaced the road in front of my house so much that the town had to build up the end of my driveway to match the increased height several times in the 34 years I've lived there. I've had to raise the mailbox height a few times too.

I've even seen where pot holes have gone deep enough to show the paved over train tracks (trains ran through downtown Syracuse many years ago). The solution? Patch it and throw some more asphalt on it come spring.

Radials really make a huge difference here.

John, there's a mix of concrete and asphalt here out west. There's also some roadways that have been paved with an asphalt that contains rubber in it, resulting in a super-quiet ride in your car. It's quite nice.

I think one of the reasons why the bias-ply/belted tires don't bother me that much is because my daily driver hits ruts and grooves and takes it in a particular direction. It's a 2013 Camaro 1LE, so it's really a track car and handles like it's on rails. Because of the precision, ruts and grooves throw steering in that direction. And as you can imagine, the tires are super wide. I just deal with it. I guess I actually call it 'driving' vs. what most new cars allow people to do (not pay attention at all).
I've driven on the roads in Arizona and New Mexico, they are way nicer than the ones in Illinois, (which I hear are the worst in the nation). Hell those roads are so nice you could drive on rubber bands.

As i recall the early Wide Oval tires were nylon belt tires. The redline tires on our 68 Charger didn't last 20k miles. The Polyglas tires were later and the GTs were a big improvement on the car.
The first new mopar we had with radials was a 72 Newport Custom. That car rode and handled much better than our 71 Sport Fury. I think that car had a smaller dia. steering wheel too. Car cornered flatter.
Us old guys don't remember any issues with bias ply tires cause that's all we had. We managed through winters and drove across country on them. They sure did spin easily on a big block Charger. However i couldn't emagine what they would feel like on my 16 Charger R/T!

Drive much on bias tires and you'll end up with seat material stuck in your A** within a short time. Trust me, .... there's a reason they were discontinued and replaced with radials.
Why do you think the drivers seat is always torn up in most original cars.

As i recall the early Wide Oval tires were nylon belt tires. The redline tires on our 68 Charger didn't last 20k miles. The Polyglas tires were later and the GTs were a big improvement on the car.
The first new mopar we had with radials was a 72 Newport Custom. That car rode and handled much better than our 71 Sport Fury. I think that car had a smaller dia. steering wheel too. Car cornered flatter.
Us old guys don't remember any issues with bias ply tires cause that's all we had. We managed through winters and drove across country on them. They sure did spin easily on a big block Charger. However i couldn't emagine what they would feel like on my 16 Charger R/T!
I like the perspective you bring to this subject. To add to that, some here will remember the advances in radial tires through the 1980s bringing much better traction, then wet traction and treadwear. My biggest biased ply memories come from the fleet duty longlife crap biased plys dad had on his chevy suburban when I was growing up... still there when I was a teenage idiot pissing of mustangs and irocs on I79(stripy truck, but special ordered with 350/4bbl/4spd/highway gears... she rolled good for the 80s). Those tires would be howling on interstate curves by the time the speedo was in 3 digits.

Even implements of husbandry are going/have gone radial...
Radial or bias, the right choice / Properly use your tires - Michelin Agricultural Tires

To make bias tire matters even worse, dad's cars were company cars so we couldn't put snows on for winter. The radial tires offered in the 70s were a big improvement. When dad brought home his first Omni i felt i was a Jeep it went through snow so much well. Those 4dr Omni/rizons were great ski-trip cars.

I'm not saying a word.
Stan you want to feel bias tires go get some industrial grinding wheels bolt them on and go for a ride.
Bias tires= flower planters.

Back