Possible Idea for Stalling Problem-77 New Yorker

Vac advance should be attached to the ported vac port, not straight intake manifold vac, from the factory (PLUS a possibly deteriorated factory vac hose map, underhood). Reason is that ported vac lasts longer than intake manifold vac when you throttle into it. With full intake manifold vac, when you open the throttle quickly, no vac advance immediately. UNLESS . . . you get some of the vac delay valves which Ford was famous for using in the 1970s, put it inline (even two in parallel as GM did on a "factory fix") and turn them around backwards so it maintains vac in the vac advance can . . . which can cover for a very lazy dist mechanical advance curve.

Glad that the car is runing better.

Just some observations,
CBODY67
I had mine on the port at the front of the carb quote close to the top, now it is connected to a port on the carb but under the throttle blades, so not straight intake vacuum, but below the throttle blades

IF the vac connection on the carb is the same size as the vac advance can, that's probably ported vac (no vac at hot base idle, but vac as soon as the throttle is opened). If you follow that port to the throttle bores, it should be about even with the throttle plates, if a bit under them, but not much. As long as the port is not the one that runs the vac motor in the air cleaner snorkel (which is full manifold vac).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Regarding the vacuum leak inside the car. Common culprits on Formals in my experience:

1) The valve on the column that triggers the automatic emergency brake release;
2) The valve on the emergency brake release itself.

Quick question about vacuum,
On the intake vacuum tree, there are only three lines attached. One is the brake booster, one is a very tiny line that I think affects the A/C/Heat, and one is a medium size line which goes into a box on the steering column under the dash. This third line is where my leak is, I'm just not sure if it is the line, the box, etc...
Is it possible that I can just disconnect this line for now? Is there anything in the dash that needs this vacuum. I think I can live without the vacuum shift if necessary until I have the time to really go through and find every leak.

I believe the line that goes to the steering column is the automatic parking brake release and yes, you can disconnect that. Most likely your vacuum leak is the vacuum pot under the dash, located near the parking brake release lever. I've read about those things going bad on these cars when I was looking into what that thing on the steering column was.

Back