Poverty dishes or dog caps or whatever they are called

prd2bdf

Reaction score
My 1973 Newport has the stock 15” steel wheels with the factory hubcaps. I wanted to have some fun this spring by painting the steel wheels the same color as the body and stick some dog disges on them.

My question is: is there a specific wheel or dog dishes will work on any steel wheels?

Before I pass judgment, can I see the car??
First things first...
Sure
9FCD71B0-0667-47DB-8139-A889DC45A62F.jpeg

Relax people. The hubcaps aren’t being discarded or replaced. I just wanted to refinish the steel wheels that is underneath the hubcaps then I thought it would be fun to try dog dishes or poverty caps to see what it looked like

The larger diameter covers are called wheel covers. That's what they do. The smaller diameter covers are called hub caps. You need to keep the wheel covers in place on that car....IMHO
It's a beauty...... And welcome.

IMHO That car calls for full wheel covers and whitewall tires. Putting black wall, raised white letters and hub caps will be doing that gorgeous car a grave dis-service. It's a Chrysler, not a Dodge or Plymouth. As per the sales brochure the car wasn't offered with hub caps. The upgrade was "Premier" wheel covers or Road Wheels. I once had a "stripper" Chrysler Newport and it came from the factory with wheel covers. NOW Road Wheels would make that car pop!

1643038074722.png

Beautiful Newport! So what did you end up doing with your wheels? And do you have any pictures?

Last edited:
take one of the hubcaps off and take a picture of the rim so we can see if it will take a dog dish hub cap .
very beautiful car

I had the "holey" cop caps on cop wheels that I had painted Argent Silver, for a couple of seasons on my old '78 NYBS. I liked them, but at that time, I was searching for the cast turbine appliques and a couple of better reflective trim rings for the original wheels. I liked the cops on it, but once I found all the bits to complete a set of the original wheels, I removed the cops and replaced them with the correct wheels and the right trim bits.

If you happen to find the movie "The Amendment" on whatever streaming service, watch that. You'll see my '78 NYBS in front of the State Prison, where one of the principal characters drives up, then exits the car. It's all of about four seconds, but you'll see the cop wheels on that. You'll also see my '66 Coronet 500 in the film in five separated scenes, with about a minute total screen time.

The nickname for them is cheese graters..LOL!!

I've always heard "hole-y caps". I've even heard "late cop caps" versus the "early cop caps" (smooth). Can't remember ever hearing "cheese graters"! Probably a Canada thing!

Back