Power seat on right side, split bench seat

Reaction score
Im curious about the power seat option for the passenger side for the fuselage Imperial/Chrysler cars. Was it common? Was it the same tracks on both sides? Did chrysler Have its own power seat tracks or is it GM?

Gustav

I suspect it would be more common on an Imperial LeBaron than on a similar Crown, just as it would be more common on a New Yorker than a 300. Just considering the customer demographics of each carline. Seems like it might have also been available on rh bucket seats, too?

Usually, the floorpans were not symmetrical from side to side, so the seat tracks would probably not be the same, side to side. That would have been "too easy", back then. A GM division might have built the pieces which made up the mechanisms, but they would be unique to each brand of vehicle. Just like Saginaw Division might have built the steering columns, BUT they were built to the specs of the OEM customer rather than everybody using Saginaw's desired specs. On my '80 Newport, the outside of the column looks very similar to what came in the same year Chevy Caprice, but what's inside and makes it work are completely different, as I discovered when I had to replace the turn signal switch on my Newport. In many ways, the Chrysler columns always had a more quality feel to them, which might have been due to the possibly better-quality grease used on the metal bearings and races than GM would pay for on their own columns. If GM saved 2 cents/car by using less expensive lube and a bit less of it, it would mean significant profit increases when it was all figured into their greater volume of vehicles. If Chrysler spent an additional 4 cents/car, in order to get that better feel, rather than "good enough" as GM might do, a minor adjustment to a few other things would more than compensate in the grand scheme of things.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I suspect it would be more common on an Imperial LeBaron than on a similar Crown, just as it would be more common on a New Yorker than a 300. Just considering the customer demographics of each carline. Seems like it might have also been available on rh bucket seats, too?

Usually, the floorpans were not symmetrical from side to side, so the seat tracks would probably not be the same, side to side. That would have been "too easy", back then. A GM division might have built the pieces which made up the mechanisms, but they would be unique to each brand of vehicle. Just like Saginaw Division might have built the steering columns, BUT they were built to the specs of the OEM customer rather than everybody using Saginaw's desired specs. On my '80 Newport, the outside of the column looks very similar to what came in the same year Chevy Caprice, but what's inside and makes it work are completely different, as I discovered when I had to replace the turn signal switch on my Newport. In many ways, the Chrysler columns always had a more quality feel to them, which might have been due to the possibly better-quality grease used on the metal bearings and races than GM would pay for on their own columns. If GM saved 2 cents/car by using less expensive lube and a bit less of it, it would mean significant profit increases when it was all figured into their greater volume of vehicles. If Chrysler spent an additional 4 cents/car, in order to get that better feel, rather than "good enough" as GM might do, a minor adjustment to a few other things would more than compensate in the grand scheme of things.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thank you! I guess you are right about chrysler/GM.

My car only has power on the drivers side. Would be nice to add power to the passenger side in the future. Im in no hurry :)

Up to ‘69 at least the seat bases were the same side to side and there is an added bracket that made up the difference for the floor that allowed the same base to be used on both sides. Also if you had buckets in a Crown they were both power, again at least through ‘68. ‘69 and later the seat bases did change but I bet they were still interchangeable from side to side.

Up to ‘69 at least the seat bases were the same side to side and there is an added bracket that made up the difference for the floor that allowed the same base to be used on both sides. Also if you had buckets in a Crown they were both power, again at least through ‘68. ‘69 and later the seat bases did change but I bet they were still interchangeable from side to side.
Thanks, good news!

I actually have a working seat base for ‘69 and later that I think is mostly complete. I’ll pull it out when I’m back in my shop next week if it would work for you it’s available.

I actually have a working seat base for ‘69 and later that I think is mostly complete. I’ll pull it out when I’m back in my shop next week if it would work for you it’s available.
Thank you! Would be nice, but I suspect its to expensive to shop to Europe/Sweden right now. Our currency is quite low compared to the dollar.

Back