Prestolite or Chrysler distributor (visual ID without removal from engine) 318 small block

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't have a timing gun (handy) so I don't want to take the distributor out. I want to buy a new cap but it seems I need to choose between Prestolite or Chrysler.

Are the points and rotor interchangable between the two? Or is it just the cap that is different?

I don't see any tags or casting numbers from what I can see under the hood. (yes I did paint it white a long time ago)

P9262104.JPG

normal points and electronic cap and roto. if needed i have thm.

I don't have a timing gun (handy) so I don't want to take the distributor out. I want to buy a new cap but it seems I need to choose between Prestolite or Chrysler.

Are the points and rotor interchangable between the two? Or is it just the cap that is different?

I don't see any tags or casting numbers from what I can see under the hood. (yes I did paint it white a long time ago)

View attachment 619157
That's a Cast aluminum Chrysler distributor. I wouldn't buy distributor parts from anyone but Halifaxhops. The sells the old good stuff.

"Chrysler" distributors usually are of aluminum, as is your pictured item. Part number is stamped into one of the smooth sections on the side of the upper housing.

"Prestolite" distributors should be cast iron, some with dual points for HP engines. Part numbers are on a tag screwed onto the outer body. Start with "I" rather than a number, as in "IBS-25" or similar.

Reference a timing light, you don't need it at all. Just look where the rotor is pointing and pull it out. Don't turn the engine over while its out and it just goes right back in, in exactly the same spot. Chrysler distributors can only go in two ways. Correct, or 180 degrees off.
I realize you already have your answer, but for future information.

Make sure to make a mark on the base of the dist. and the block. This way you can put it back in the same spot if you do remove it. Even though they only go in two ways you could still be off on the timing if you just pulled it out and stuck it back in.

Back