Probably the dumbest idea ever

Nope..... Bobber as in chopper motorcycle without the gay rake and stretch
Gotcha...

Yea, the 318 probably isn't gonna work for you unless you were doing a Mopar version of E.J. Potter's Widow Maker.

If you are building something like that truck above, a warmed up 318 is more than capable of scaring the $hit out of you.

Kevin
But it isn't a blown big block built for knocking these young diesel nuthuggers down a peg or two..... Yes the 383 will be completely rebuilt and I'm aware I could find another 383 somewhere, but this isn't about restoration or just hacking something up for no reason..... I have to choose whether or not this car could possibly be driven or whether I have to give up my dream of building a big block hotrod.

I think he's building a "bobber" truck.

View attachment 147740
Truthfully you aren't far off guessing a bobber truck..... Think blown alcohol (ethanol only cuz it's illegal to run methanol on the street) injected 2200lbs (guesstimate) of hatred for hybrids and diesels packaged into a custom built tube chassis with a 1926 ford model t cab on it

Just to clarify this,
1. 1964 was the last year for the push button shifter.
2. 1965 although Chrysler did switch to a column, or floor shifter it still used a cable instead of hard linkage.
3. 1966 and up used hard linkage and a different case for the transmissions.
4. A 1966 or newer transmission will not fit a 1965.

I'll add that the 1965 BB/RB transmission has a sliding yoke output driveshaft (like 1966+), so is different than a 1964-. It is a 1-yr only transmission. In contrast, the 1965 SB and slant transmission had a fixed output flange and ball & trunnion driveshaft (aka Detroit). While its case is identical to 1964- (I think), the valve body differs (probably because no push-button shifter) and is thus 1 yr only (last year of cable-shift). At least true in A-body cars, so I expect also true for SB/slant in B & C-body cars.

Back