Procedure - Engine Removal, Rear Main Seal Replacement

Auto Service of Old Saybrook Inc.

Regardless of the mileage on the car or where the oil leak is, if the timing chain is original, replace it as the factory plastic timing gear can fail due to age.

If the car has been sitting for a long time or was rarely driven, sometimes a leaky rear main seal will leak less after the car has been driven a bit. In my experience, rear main seals tend to leak on MOPARS, even if they have been correctly replaced on limited or seasonal use cars so if you have it replaced, a few years down the road you may find that you have a small leak develop from the car sitting for long periods of time as the seals will dry out.

Last edited:
I have never seen a big block Mopar that did not drip from the rear main seal. I had my 383 done twice after a rebuild, and it still leaked worse with each repair. I plan on putting a diaper on mine, just under the inspection plate of the transmission. Seeing that drop of oil on the garage floor after an engine rebuild will drive me crazy. Out of sight, out of mind, LOL!

I have never seen a big block Mopar that did not drip from the rear main seal. I had my 383 done twice after a rebuild, and it still leaked worse with each repair. I plan on putting a diaper on mine, just under the inspection plate of the transmission. Seeing that drop of oil on the garage floor after an engine rebuild will drive me crazy. Out of sight, out of mind, LOL!
A “drop” of oil I could live with. The oil left on the ground by my New Yorker’s 400 is typically about 2- 3 inches in size.

I found a bakery tray with some cat littler under the center of the car works well for small leaks.

Dave

I found a bakery tray with some cat littler under the center of the car works well for small leaks.

Dave
^This^

I have a larger tray that is always under my cars when parked in my garage. For some reason, my cars always mark their territory with some liquid or another. The seal on the valve body on the 300 is something I have to change one of these days....

Sometimes it's not worth the time and effort to fix a small drip from a main seal.... and then it's a crap shoot that the leak is 100% fixed.

Personally, I think that's just part of owning an old car that doesn't get driven every day.

So, after all this time, I had a old car mechanic look at my Fury, was not the rear main, was the distributor gasket. I just got it on the road and hope for the best now. Car show on Saturday, Motors and Mansions, Newport, RI! Thanks for your help!

So, after all this time, I had a old car mechanic look at my Fury, was not the rear main, was the distributor gasket. I just got it on the road and hope for the best now. Car show on Saturday, Motors and Mansions, Newport, RI! Thanks for your help!
Nice! Keep us posted if the leak goes away.

I'll have to let my brother know if he already does not. He has the dinner train in Newport Grand Bellevue Dinner Train | Trains RI and then there is the Rail Explorers that use part of his upper tracks.

He has a 1973 Plymouth Satellite made up to look like a Road Runner - 360 Six Pack and a 1957 Cadillac 4 Dr Ht. I'll have to see if he is bringing one of these.

I'll have to let my brother know if he already does not. He has the dinner train in Newport Grand Bellevue Dinner Train | Trains RI and then there is the Rail Explorers that use part of his upper tracks.

He has a 1973 Plymouth Satellite done up to look like a Road Runner - 360 Six Pack and a 1957 Cadillac 4 Dr Ht. I'll have to see if he is bringing one of these.

If you hear any train whistles RUN!!! Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

Dave

Back