PS pump

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
When the car is running, steering works fine.
I jacked up the front end and pressure washed under there and when i manually turned the steering wheel, it blows fluid out of the pump cap. Is this normal or do i need another cap etc?

Not normal.

Any chance you've over-filled it? It should be about halfway up the neck when hot.

When cold, it should be a little below the neck. The fluid expands a lot and will overflow if overfilled.

I'm not sure why it would only overflow when it's not running. It's like when you turn the steering wheel, the steering gear is acting like a pump and forcing the fluid back into the reservoir. Maybe some kind of check valve or relief valve isn't working or something?

I'm not sure why it would only overflow when it's not running. It's like when you turn the steering wheel, the steering gear is acting like a pump and forcing the fluid back into the reservoir. Maybe some kind of check valve or relief valve isn't working or something?
As long as i keep it at the bottom of the neck, appears to work fine

As long as i keep it at the bottom of the neck, appears to work fine

That's as it should be. You may even have had a "bubble" in the steering gear or such, which now has been filled w fluid. The fill level is to the bottom of the neck, when cold, and JUST to the bottom of that neck.

Back