PS23K8D191537 04/09/1968 W. H. Humphreys

unmolested and amazing
20170716_101409-jpg.jpg

"unmolested" Seriously? Who's the lazy SOB that tapped into the Ballast Resistor feed?

1968.Fury.Unmolested.001.jpg

That part of the washer pump stupidness?

Don't get me started on the stamped metal idler pulley's, when I did the cam belt on mom's Reliant the idler was singing, couldn't pop the seals off the bearing and clean & re-lube the bearing like I did on the alternator, soooo call local dealer, no got, contemplate drilling out spot welds to get at bearing, (now where was my rivet collection) nope, hit phone and find one at dealer 2 towns away, get someone with brains on phone and let'em know who I was and wanted 'Jobber' price, go to fetch and counter guy want's list ($90) make noise to get guy in office to come out and give me agreed on price. Ask for brushes for alternator, no got, they just replace whole alternator and that's $250, guy in office reminds me of re-builder shop on way back home that I had dealings with many years before, stopped there and got 2 sets @ $1.50 each, end of day job is all done and mom is happy!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I looked at my roached idler pulley, I was thinking the same thing: I'll just go get a correct bearing and install it. No way Jose! The bearing and pulley are pressed / swaged together, and I don't have the tool(s) to tackle that.

ya some P.O. rigged up that washer pump on the fenderwell, and the orig. washer fluid tank with broken pump was just bypassed...go figure. i dont think bruce did it but the P.O. before that. maybe B will comment.

re: idler pulley i had no idea. dudes online want $80~ for a NOS assembly. thx for the info tho!

Ill probably macgiver me up one outta something like this Hayden Idler Pulleys 5900 and a bolt.

pimpin aint easy.

- saylor

welp ive had this car 1 year. yea me. there is more rust than I thought there would be. there is a rust hole in the cowl up by the brake booster, and in the rear seat area floorpan almost in the trunk. then there is the usual rusty spots trunk seam, lower quarters, etc. but im still going forward on it so far. I cant bring myself to part it out yet until I hit something really really bad. I hope I don't.

so does this alternator mounting apparatus look all
20180707_125833.jpg
correctly installed? I know its the old alt still ,but im just hanging stuff to make sure I have it all and how it fits etc.

o I wanted to add some notes for the next guy - this is a 1968 440 A/C p/s engine. the idler bracket is gold. herbs has a kit for the whole tamale for 2 hundy. Herb's Parts - Mopar Restoration and Performance

the dual-spacer thingy - on the one I removed, one of the holes is offset so the piece is directional. it liked it with the casting part #s facing inside/facing the water pump - it lined up way better in that orientation.

from what ive found on the interwebs the pulley is $60-$80 by itself.

Last edited:
heres one more question - when I got this, the PS pump was not installed, so I don't know how it went.
does the bracket go here?
20180707_125932.jpg

ya some P.O. rigged up that washer pump on the fenderwell, and the orig. washer fluid tank with broken pump was just bypassed...go figure. i dont think bruce did it but the P.O. before that. maybe B will comment.

re: idler pulley i had no idea. dudes online want $80~ for a NOS assembly. thx for the info tho!

Ill probably macgiver me up one outta something like this Hayden Idler Pulleys 5900 and a bolt.

pimpin aint easy.

- saylor

Hey Saylor---I'm liking your progress with the Fury.
After I bought the car the only things I fixed or added was a bunch of misc. grill pieces. The engine compartment was as it was when I bought it. I spent little time speculating on what previous owners did to it.
All I got from the seller is he got it running to sell.
BTW--about your idler pulley-- I have a used one that IMO has a lot of miles left in it. If you are interested in it I'll give it to you for shipping cost.

whew I switched phones,, but found a couple of pics:
adding extra pics for documentation, and thx for the above pic J ^^
20171111_133034.jpg
20171111_143858.jpg

O wise and venerable forum -

fitting parts back onto this block, and trying to figure out the power steering hangers.

I think I need a pic of a 1960-1968 440 motor w/AC w/PS from the driver side and maybe I can figure out whats doin.

but - everything im looking up says this is a 1969 pump and bracket I have here (see pic).
20180708_101832.jpg

when I got the car, the PS ***'y was not on the car, so I have no idea what its supposed to be like.

other than needin a couple of 3 5/8" bolts, im not sure what else is missing.

any advice is most welcome.
Thanks!

- saylor

nah not really - I did find a sorta belt routing diagram on pp 7-12 in the illustration section tho.. one small step
belt-routing7-12.JPG

thanks for the pics yall.

after looking at this all day long, and reading the FSM (worthless) and the parts catalog (less worthless, but still no answer) and surfing the interwebs of mopar 440 motors pictures, im coming to the idea that these 2 parts don't go together.
20180707_125932.jpg

20180708_163929.jpg

it looks like the pump fits right here ^^ without the piece shown in pic #1.

and piece #1 and #2 don't fit together nicely that I can see, they collide when you try to marry them.

Go for it but since "the PS ***'y was not on the car, so I have no idea what its supposed to be like" and Polara_500 pic shows the other pump. (can't really see the brackets to well with all the grease/road grunge)

The main thing you need to be concerned with is it being a A/C (right?) car and the pulley alignment as in past discussions here with the water pumps thread, A/C or no A/C are different brackets? (correct me if I'm wrong).

(edit) you do know what the square hole in the bracket is for, right?

Go for it … A/C or no A/C are different brackets? (correct me if I'm wrong).

(edit) you do know what the square hole in the bracket is for, right?

it matters if AC or no AC, and if leece Neville ALT or not. Hergfest said this is 1 of 15 built, so I guess my examples are limited if there are any c-body specific mods that I may not find on say a 440 charger or coronet or whatever. I appreciate your help and comments though.

@pomonamissel - it looks like you were just having this same talk over at B bodies:
1969 440 with AC power steering brackets

it looks like I have the same PS pump as what you posted over on b-bodies - pulley wheel is almost 7" wide. the only v-belts ive seen listed say 4 5/8" or 5 1/4" dia... any idea on what v-belt this thing needs?

(edit) no I don't know whats the square hole for. whats it for?

Hergfest said this is 1 of 15 built

Yea I'm a little puzzled about this 'W. H. Humphreys' car, have read this whole post, but not the whole forum, but I do recall hearing something about this guys car(s) over the years. Searched "Hergfest" an that came up squat.

Care to fill me in with a condensed version or a link? (I'll tell'ya the importance of the square hole)

:lol:

4.jpg

here is someone elses work on what they had to do. so it looks like i have the bracket for a TRW pump, and the ***'y is a Saginaw, so they do not go together as far as I have found so far.

Is it the pic angle or do I detect a little mis-alignment with the pulleys?.

ALT belt looks OK and straight. PS appears to be off.

Glad I owned & worked on these cars before they got all jumbled up by someone else.

Back