Pulley alignment

bascars

Reaction score
I have always had a little misalignment in the belts since I bought my car 9 years ago. Didn't think too much about it then. But during the rebuild I am noticing a few things. I ordered a replacement PS pump for my 66 Polara 383 out of a reputable place in Columbus OH.
My incorrect assumption was that I was working with an original block. Turns out the block is 68. It has a 4 groove pulley system on the crank.
I replaced the alternator shortly before the rebuild started and had charging issues at idle.
Now that I am putting these all back together, still noticing that the belts are not aligned. The spare 66 block that I have has a 2 groove pulley that is smaller, but the bolt holes do not line up on the 68 block.

will the years change the alignment? If the 68 crank pulley is larger it may be contributing to the charging issues at idle as it would be turning slower.
Do I need to look for a 68 pump/pulley and a 68 alt? Should I be looking for a different crank pulley that can be drilled to line up on this crank?
I was also told that a new harmonic balancer might get the holes realigned, especially since I did not replace during the rebuild. If I should do that first, is the nodular iron or steel type better?

Crank pulleys can be made to work by filling out one of the holes (maybe two?). You could change the balancer but I like to keep the balancer that came with the crank 9guess it wouldn't really matter). Larger crank pulley will turn the accessories FASTER (alternator, P/S, etc).
Before you 'modify' any pullies, you should be able to put the crank pulley on with just a few bolts and see what the alignment looks like. Once you have what works, then make them bolt on.
I can't recall the entire story, but basically there are some balancers with a symetrical bolt pattern and some with a slightly offset bolt pattern. I believe that the later stuff is symetrical but someone on the site can probably chime in on this.

71 balancers and down had the offset bolt pattern. 72 and up was symmetrical.

The pulley may just need to be indexed to the offset hole correctly. In other words, keep turning it until all the holes line up.

Sometimes if the pulleys are off a slight amount you can use washers behind the mounting brackets. Sometimes the difference is between an ac car water pump and non ac and they changed from car or truck motor....

Sometimes if the pulleys are off a slight amount you can use washers behind the mounting brackets. Sometimes the difference is between an ac car water pump and non ac and they changed from car or truck motor....
I do not believe there is any difference in the water pump housings.

Back