Purchased a Waldron Exhaust

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
So I got my 1973 Imperial up in the air at work and did an oil change, spark plugs and replaced the worn out idler arm. While I had it in the air I noticed that the exhaust was made of many clamped together small tubes and is missing the resonator.

After doing much research I decided to go with the Waldron single exhaust. 10-12 weeks out. Hopefully I made a good choice.

I came to the same conclusion to use Waldron after talking with them quite a bit about making the 1970-71 440 HP dual exhaust systems for my two such 300s currently under full restoration. I worked with one of their employees to make sure they got those exhaust pipes at the HP manifolds correctly angled and I was very much liking the option of factory quiet mufflers. Although they say they do not offer dual exhaust systems for 1970-71 Chrysler 300s currently, after working with them I believe they will make it a regular option. I will check out how they fit and give them feedback but from all the photos we went over and other factors, I believe they will get them correct and make them a regular offering. All of the folks there were great to work with and they are the only supplier that offers "factory quiet" exhaust systems as an option.

Many guys like loud 440HP engines but I am not one of them. I believe the factory did a very good job in giving them just the best overall sound under all driving conditions. I also feel a Chrysler model should have some level of luxury feel and sound and that the right sound level adds to my perception of the overall quality and integrity of the vehicle.

I also noticed that on the Chrysler model vehicles the engineers chose two large mufflers with no resonators in the tail pipes. But on my 1970 440 6-pack Cuda that I restored some 40 years ago now, that car came with very short length mufflers but had resonators in each tail pipe as well. It is louder than my dual exhaust 440HP Chryslers and gave an exhaust note that to me was "perfect" for that vehicle too - it was louder but not ridiculously loud either. The guys in the exhaust system department in those days seemed to actually care about tuning the system to appeal to each type of vehicle customer.

483313855115-1-1-jpg.jpg

I also believe that even today the factory delivers just the best exhaust note commensurate with their Hellcat Charger and Challenger models - loud but not annoying loud and they also have just a perfect sound to properly reflect the excellent performance and quality for those specialty models as well.

I came to the same conclusion to use Waldron after talking with them quite a bit about making the 1970-71 440 HP dual exhaust systems for my two such 300s currently under full restoration. I worked with one of their employees to make sure they got those exhaust pipes at the HP manifolds correctly angled and I was very much liking the option of factory quiet mufflers. Although they say they do not offer dual exhaust systems for 1970-71 Chrysler 300s currently, after working with them I believe they will make it a regular option. I will check out how they fit and give them feedback but from all the photos we went over and other factors, I believe they will get them correct and make them a regular offering. All of the folks there were great to work with and they are the only supplier that offers "factory quiet" exhaust systems as an option.

Many guys like loud 440HP engines but I am not one of them. I believe the factory did a very good job in giving them just the best overall sound under all driving conditions. I also feel a Chrysler model should have some level of luxury feel and sound and that the right sound level adds to my perception of the overall quality

I also noticed that on the Chrysler model vehicles the engineers chose two large mufflers with no resonators in the tail pipes. But on my 1970 440 6-pack Cuda that I restored some 40 years ago now, that car came with very short length mufflers but had resonators in each tail pipe as well. It is louder than my dual exhaust 440HP Chryslers and gave an exhaust note that to me was "perfect" for that vehicle too
The resonators are under the rear seat, the muffler is in the tailpipe. Here is the Accurate LTD exhaust page on it.

(see option box below) -70-74 383/440 Big Block Complete Exh

7365D3E9-B5B9-4B6C-9AB1-BA66D0E37DA2.png

FFB69C64-D3AC-47DA-8500-EF87A6365507.jpeg

Yes, that is the way the E-body exhaust system is. C-bodies have the longer mufflers under the rear seat and the round resonators near the gas tank.

I used E-body resonators, plus a cat converter fit kit, to take the place of a failing Test Tube on one of my cars. Worked great.

CBODY67

The resonators are under the rear seat, the muffler is in the tailpipe. Here is the Accurate LTD exhaust page on it.

(see option box below) -70-74 383/440 Big Block Complete Exh

View attachment 602150

View attachment 602151

Mine look like the ones in your first link:

e-body%20exhaust%20web%20pic(1).jpg

To me, the first cans under the rear seat look like mine and the ones under the trunk look round like the ones in your photo too. To me, the first cans look like mufflers and the rear ones look like the usual round resonators. In any case, what's on my car sound just right for that car..................

Last edited:
Purchased an exhaust system from Waldeon a year and a half ago for the 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport.). I only live about a hour away so I made the trip to pick it up. Very small shop with about three employees. The volume of business that they do is phenomenal.
My exhaust, (383 single with a resonator), fit like a glove. The flanges were correctly positioned and it installed very easily. You should be happy with yours.
Omni

Purchased an exhaust system from Waldeon a year and a half ago for the 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport.). I only live about a hour away so I made the trip to pick it up. Very small shop with about three employees. The volume of business that they do is phenomenal.
My exhaust, (383 single with a resonator), fit like a glove. The flanges were correctly positioned and it installed very easily. You should be happy with yours.
Omni
That’s good to hear. I’m 3 hours away from them. I figured it would be less in gas for me to go get it than the $180 they wanted for shipping.

I went and picked mine up a couple of years ago. Same positive experience. They said 10-12 weeks, and called me on week 11 that it was ready.
IMG_20211001_093632466.jpg

So I got my 1973 Imperial up in the air at work and did an oil change, spark plugs and replaced the worn out idler arm. While I had it in the air I noticed that the exhaust was made of many clamped together small tubes and is missing the resonator.

After doing much research I decided to go with the Waldron single exhaust. 10-12 weeks out. Hopefully I made a good choice.
Mine fit perfectly

Going to Michigan to pick up the exhaust this coming weekend. I will get some clamps and some new hangers for it. The 73’s muffler is blown out so this should be a huge difference.

Be sure the clamps are the OEM, larger gauge clamp rather than the thinner gauge clamp, which can stretch.

From my experiences,
CBODY67

I am gathering my hardware. I ordered an NOS tailpipe clamp, and 2 new 2 1/2” clamps from Accurate Exhaust. I also ordered an NOS tailpipe hanger.

How is it going with the exhaust so far? Have you had the chance to install it ?

I didn't pass the vehicle inspection on my '73 Imperial on which the exhaust has been rusted out as well. I would like to go the very same route and order from Waldron's ASAP. I'd like to make it look as stock as possible and could use some advice as to what installation hardware I would need to make that happen ! Like you, I'd order the installation hardware from Accurate Exhaust.

I assume I need the following, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

-Tailpipe hanger, right side (ACC-753) - I remember that hanger to be a fully symmetrical piece but on the picture from Accurate the bracket appears to be assymetrical so there can be a left and right... Do I remember that wrong?
-A pair of "factory style" 2.5" clamps (ACC-212-ZF)
-The gasket / bolt kit for low performance (ACC-GK-LP-M)

Did I miss any other bolts/washers/hangers/straps ?

Thanks,
Mike

I would say that the Waldron Exhaust is 80% accurate. The mid pipe is missing the welded on D-nuts, the muffler is too narrow, the tailpipe should be welded to the over axle pipe and the tailpipe is not bent correctly.

I would not buy Accurate exhaust clamps again. The 2 1/2” clamps are too small. I would only use NOS only.

I have not had a chance to install it because I have decided to fully restore the car.

When you say the muffler not beeing correct, the tailpipe not welded to the over axle pipe and tailpipe not correct, you mean not "factory" accurate, right?
You are not saying that the exhaust does not fit under the car without the need of cutting, bending or welding of any of the pipes, right ?

When you say the muffler not beeing correct, the tailpipe not welded to the over axle pipe and tailpipe not correct, you mean not "factory" accurate, right?
You are not saying that the exhaust does not fit under the car without the need of cutting, bending or welding of any of the pipes, right ?
I have no idea since I have decided to totally restore the car. I have not installed it.

I had tried to load pictures of the installation for a while. It ended up on my newest 72 Imperial and now that everything is installed I hate to say that it is extremely disappointing.

The flat on the y-pipe at the crossmember is not parallel to the ground, but cocked sideways.

IMG_0742.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

The resonator is fulled butted to the over the axle pipe and it sits too far back to line up with the stock hanger and camp.

IMG_0739.jpeg

The resonator is also not even aligned to the car correctly. It swings outboard at the end of the car and lines up with the frame, not inboard of the frame as it should be. I had the tip modified to make it come closer to the bumper, but even that did not fix my concern.

IMG_0738.jpeg

In conclusion, Waldron: do better. This stinks. I have contacted them to share these pictures and give them feedback.

Last edited:
Back