Queer car

Thinking about it, isn't that the typical damage that can happen to a 727 when you break a driveshaft or rear?

It would make some sense.... Neutral drop breaks rear and then overrunning clutch breaks.
This is what I was thinking along but the only way to really know is to fix whats visually broken and go from there

This is what I was thinking along but the only way to really know is to fix whats visually broken and go from there
Yes fix the rear axle first. Then work on the trans issues if any.

BTW if you have a 8 1/4 rear axle and you really do plan on a V10 swap you should start looking for a 8 3/4 or 9 1/4.

I'm not denying the 8 1/4 axle was in c-body cars
I had 8 1/4 in 1970 Fury 318/904.
I had 8 1/4 in 1972 Fury 360/727
I have 8 1/4 in 1973 Dodge Monaco 360/727.
My point was: you have a 400 big block and I did not think 8 1/4 went behind big blocks from the factory.
If you have 8 1/4 on your Newport and the date code on the ring gear match YMM of your car, shrug, I'm wrong. Won't be the first time.
I replaced 8 1/4 on the the 1970 & 1972 with 8 3/4, because the 8 1/4 was echoing in the passenger compartment and felt loose, big clunk shifting into drive. And that's with 40+ years behind a small block.

Just in cast you pull the axle cover and the internals are trashed:
@C Body Bob
Do you know of a place that a South Carolina school man on a very limited budget could find a rear for a Newport formal body 1974-78 400/727?
Thanks, Ben
Yea I know of a couple guys that may have a rear end. He’d probably have to pull them though

Thinking about it, isn't that the typical damage that can happen to a 727 when you break a driveshaft or rear?

It would make some sense.... Neutral drop breaks rear and then overrunning clutch breaks.
I was under the impression that the over-running clutch shelled when doing a wet burnout and then the spinning tires hitting dry pavement, which meant that burnouts were done on "D" rather than "1"?

I was under the impression that the over-running clutch shelled when doing a wet burnout and then the spinning tires hitting dry pavement, which meant that burnouts were done on "D" rather than "1"?

With a 727 or 904 it is best to do your burnout in 2nd. Unless you have a bolt in sprag

U actually considered parting the car out and buying a 83 imperial I know of, keeping the wheels, tires, and motor, and swapping the 400 into it.

View attachment 513700

The body is good and the paint is good about the same or better condition as my newport, the guy wants $800 for the whole car. It ran 3 years ago but I dont trust a 318 EFI.
That Imperial looks like a twin to my factory carb converted 81.
IMG_20210919_151602074_HDR.jpg

Back in the spring of 97 when my first 68 NYer was a daily driver. I left my parents and drove about 1-1/2 down hill. At the bottom when I went to pull out there was all kinds of horrendous sounds coming from the car. The car would move, but not like a 440 should. I got it turned around and drove it home up hill basically at full throttle to get there. I got dad, a retired mechanic and Chrysler man, and we went around the field.

He shook his head and said he told me about getting it spinning on the ice and catching traction. :rolleyes: We pulled it in the garage an pulled the rear end apart. Nothing wrong there. Everything looked perfect, much to his surprise. When we dropped the tranny pan that was different story; springs, busted pieces, all sorts of debris. About $200 worth of parts an she was going down the road again. She would told second to 90 mph.

Inspect the rear end before running out and buying parts. You might end up getting a surprise.

I stole parts from a 74 fury 400-2 had a 8 1/4" rear. I got the carrier, limited slip, and 11×2 brakes and drums from it. So they are out there in formal C bodies.

There's an old saying - Act in haste, repent at leisure.

Save up and do it right, at least the car is OK, not wrecked, all the best with her when funds allow the proper repairs.
Not a thread hijack but I have to admit lately I miss my 76 Dodge Charger Daytona. I hated that car (body style) but loved it too (ran and drove really nice and never ever let me down). Bullet proof 400 but transmission did need some work once.

Kind of wish I would have kept it for the drivetrain.

Nah, I’d still be hating the body style ...

Take the advice about being happy the car is still there. All mechanical parts wear and just think of how much nicer it will be with a good running transmission!

Back