Question about trans coolers??

Fair weather cars just use cooler out front. That way when it leaks it pours on ground not into cooling system and vice versa.
I always change the fittings on the trans to the female side of inverted flare to eliminate the twisty lines when open end wrench slips on the brass fitting.

The trans cooler inside a radiator is not very large, and is still the temperature of the coolant. An external one will truly "cool" your transmission.

I used one on my '93 B250 Van when I pulled my trailer. I bought the type that mounts to the front of the radiator. Worked well and did the job. (However, I still used the radiator one too; no need not to. So my van had two coolers on it.)

mOHt1f43ZPtU0Y5bG7cgFTtBExTy02ao_NALWjT6SD_N46Iabf-9PDOblxDXpeVbUsmHfe8ll-I085mFrOI=w651-h867-no.jpg
i1_2OoPIHYfZwkdiznfCFvU46I1VLdY-soLHSCOYUXY35aO9ZdEnJ2uvCACk2gtriRdWeF0FlGsg-gaIQuk=w651-h867-no.jpg
-vawGMmvYTCDv5wQDA0QhRXJ7F6EP1pH-AfI8AK01zqqDKT3PUwXYQ6mgONOzVJmw5thU0QeyZ7-U6G53_A=w651-h867-no.jpg

Are you going to use the mounting tabs? I used Ford mustang radiator upper/lower mounts for my Griffin Radiator in my 65 B body. I just 'felt' better with something else supporting the aluminum radiator while cruising around Chicago with its notorious potholes

79-83-mustang-5-0l-black-upper_3fc94198.jpg

FB_IMG_1582075389678.jpg

I am going to weld the tabs in the pic to the radiator and then bolt to the radiator support. I am able to use 2 of the existing holes but will have to drill the other 2.

If you search for stacked plate vs tube and fin coolers (like the jegs 60363) you will find they both work but Plate types are smaller per amount of cooling. I have this cooler that fits nicely in front of the radiator (no ac) with SS flexible lines. Mounted with L shaped aluminum from Lowes so no touching radiator. I could have used the built in cooler in my new radiator but I had a bad experience in another old car where the radiator failed and coolant mixed with trans fluid and killed the trans.

Well, I finally got around to welding the tabs on the radiator. Hopefully have it back in the car this weekend.
9O_vGNTTyQ1UraUGhjd4NIZE2neA00gGJx3nJ-H2gB9t03wPK-OSvoFyWWsiWRm5eelWmx8qxOXaZJRu10=w1157-h867-no.jpg

Anybody know if painting the thing black would mess with the efficiency of the radiator?

I painted the fins of my brand new aluminum radiator with Rustoleum High Heat grill paint which is flat and everything else High Heat Ultra which is a nice semi-gloss. Although I did no scientific testing I did a bunch of research and while it seems like a bad thing as long as its heat resistant and thin then no problems with heat transfer. Flat seemed the thinnest so u I used that on the fins. Both have held up great. No flaking or cracking. No primer just cleaned everything the best I could - of course it was new so pretty easy.

Back