Question on towing a C Body

2002 Ram 4 x 2 with 5.9 magnum V8. No problem towing a C with the C and the truck bed loaded. 70 MPH or more uphill with the a/c on.
DCP_0975.JPG

If you are careful and brave, you don't even need a full size truck.

Wreck's rt side.JPG

Dak towing wrecked Polara.JPG

A short wheelbase half ton will tow ok as long as the car is loaded right. I towed a 74 Duster years ago when I had a half ton. Problem was I could only load it backwards on the trailer. All the weight being so far back made it sway badly at anything over 50 mph. After that experience I bought a longbed Ram 3500 Cummins diesel and a 20 foot trailer with the axles set back. No problems towing anything now.

As pointed out above, here is the key - loading the car correctly to get the weight balanced on the trailer. If too much weight on the tongue or too little, the trailer will handle poorly and you could find yourself in trouble quickly and nothing you can do will bring back control of a combination out of control.

A trailer typically has a specific towing height at the tongue - typically 17 inches making it level. So if this height is known, you can then use a tape measure and measure from the ground level to the ball height. Load the car onto the trailer and watch the measurement. The trailer should be level. Take a look at this website: Ball Mount Basics: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop | etrailer.com

I would also want a trailer with some kind of braking system as the extra weight will push you when going down grades or hills and could put you out of control. So if no brakes on whatever trailer you select, I would operate at reduced safe speeds and hope no jerk causes you to make a panic stop.

Rope, tow bar, tow dolly and the king of luxury towing is the trailer. The only greater towing device is the ramp truck ( no speed restrictions) but this is more for cross country. I’ve rope towed cuda’s from Yuma to Phoenix and tow barred a javelin from Blythe to Phoenix. Your biggest problem if you have a trailer is remembering that the towed vehicle is behind you. Gas up grab some snacks and go get ‘em!! Good luck and pre pick out some easy access gas stations as filling up with that tailgater may be an issue.

@FURYGT -- can you tell us more about this green 1970 Polara 'vert?

In November of 2002 I picked it up for a friend from someone who wrecked it badly. I think it was a low option 318 car. The car was somewhere in the hills of Western, MA. My friend built the Monlara as it is referred to, the red '70 Polara Convertible with a Monaco grille and tail lamps etc. currently owned by and For Sale by John M and wanted this car for parts. I really don't recall much else other than we spent hours getting the right front so that it would roll. Not sure if it is still in my friend's personal junk yard or if it went to the crusher. It had some rust issues. That's all that I recall.

So from two Polara convertibles, one beautiful Monlara ragtop. Thank you for sharing! If by any chance your friend still has the fender tag or so a pic thereof, I’d love to see it.

Any other Seldom or never seen Polara ‘vert pictures you’ve got floating around?

So from two Polara convertibles, one beautiful Monlara ragtop. Thank you for sharing!

Any other Seldom or never seen Polara ‘vert pictures you’ve got floating around?

No, the red Polara was built before this car became wrecked .

So from two Polara convertibles, one beautiful Monlara ragtop. Thank you for sharing! If by any chance your friend still has the fender tag or so a pic thereof, I’d love to see it.

Sorry, no.

To clarify and confirm, as noted above the Monlara was already built when this car was bought for spare parts. Interesting fact is that the Monlara was a rebuilt wreck and took a very hard hit to the front necessitating replacing the front stub/sub frame and the front clip.

Thank you both.

@polara71, am I putting 2 and 2 together by guessing that the green car is 134170?

I had to fight with U-haul to let me rent a trailer to tow a 48 Desoto from Portland OR back to BC Canada.....tried to say that my 1st gen cummins/NV4500 conversion 84 D350 crewcab would not be strong enough to pull it, and that the old Desoto would be too heavy for the trailer.:rolleyes:

Now I own my own car trailer with a 10K lbs GVW, love having it I have probably put 20K miles on it hauling stuff in the 2.5 years I have owned it. :D

I've never had a problem getting a uhaul for a C

Same here.Rented two of them to tow 70 and 71 Sport Furies and told them what I would be towing and no issues either time.My tow vehicles are both GM 2500 full size vans with 6600 lb tow ratings so it's close but their system approves it and no problems when I got there.You can go on Uhauls website and run your particular combo beforehand to see if it works or not,it's pretty straight forward.
Also,if you have options where you can pick up and drop off the trailer,you can also input different locations and check the prices,there can be big differences in price depending on that.I entered 3 different drop off locations for a rental a couple weeks ago (where I was taking it no longer has a Uhaul dealer) and saved $300 by dropping it off in a different location then I originally entered but was only about 1/2 hour extra driving each way.

B64EEC82-5B69-4704-B90D-2E6BE1773C74.jpeg
9F75332E-BBC6-46E0-8F65-78B29B58C1F0.jpeg
64998560-D9D5-4C8C-BF7C-8983B5F0F49B.jpeg
EDEB3BB6-CB40-474D-84EE-ECAD3F6374F3.jpeg
My tow truck is a 2010 Dually with around 600hp at the wheels and my trailer is an 26ft enclosed and I have to say I love it , my average travel speed is 75-80mph and no swaying at all, I tow around 40tmls annually with my truck all over Canada and USA.
I never would tow a C Body with a half ton truck is just my opinion.

View attachment 249299 View attachment 249300 View attachment 249302 View attachment 249303 My tow truck is a 2010 Dually with around 600hp at the wheels and my trailer is an 26ft enclosed and I have to say I love it , my average travel speed is 75-80mph and no swaying at all, I tow around 40tmls annually with my truck all over Canada and USA.
I never would tow a C Body with a half ton truck is just my opinion.
I somewhat disagree. Half ton is fine for short distance towing of a C body on flat land. My Durango even has the guts to pull a C body, not as good as my 1500, but she gets the job done. If I am going long distance, or into the mountains I would want a 3/4 ton so I understand why you say that. Peace of mind with a heavy duty truck. Again...never an issue getting a Uhaul as you can see, we have a good relationship.

20180723_170619.jpg

20181118_153439.jpg

20180922_025851.jpg

20180721_145815.jpg

FB_IMG_1544239035454.jpg

FB_IMG_1544239085630.jpg

FB_IMG_1543433092465.jpg

FB_IMG_1543516501782.jpg

FB_IMG_1523069447144.jpg

FB_IMG_1548152562745.jpg

As pointed out above, here is the key - loading the car correctly to get the weight balanced on the trailer. If too much weight on the tongue or too little, the trailer will handle poorly and you could find yourself in trouble quickly and nothing you can do will bring back control of a combination out of control.

A trailer typically has a specific towing height at the tongue - typically 17 inches making it level. So if this height is known, you can then use a tape measure and measure from the ground level to the ball height. Load the car onto the trailer and watch the measurement. The trailer should be level. Take a look at this website: Ball Mount Basics: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop | etrailer.com

I would also want a trailer with some kind of braking system as the extra weight will push you when going down grades or hills and could put you out of control. So if no brakes on whatever trailer you select, I would operate at reduced safe speeds and hope no jerk causes you to make a panic stop.
I once had an issue pulling a roller. Easily resolved with a stop at a wal mart, 60 dollars later I was pulling with zero sway.

20180719_222930.jpg

20180719_175527.jpg

20180719_202232.jpg

20180719_202240.jpg

Message_1532049953278.jpg

Back