Questions on Heater Core R&R - 1968 Chrysler with A/C

dart1962_440

Reaction score
Anyone have pointers on R&R of the heater core? Service manual isn't the greatest with descriptions & photos.

Also wondering on purpose of the bypass valve - mine has it, but it isn't connected and has no linkage. Its just set between on and off. Picture points to valve I'm referencing.

Thanks

Pat

Heater Core.JPG

Pat,
I'm assuming you already have the box out of the car. Pay great attention to how the vacuum diaphragms are set and and use caution to not bend the linkage.

I don't recall my heater core having a valve on it, but it's been 20 years.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the box out of the car - tried following service manual procedures but ran into a big snag. The pipes that go through the firewall, curve into the heater box and slide over o-rings on the heater core are completely stuck onto the heater core. Years of corrosion acting like they're soldered together.

Can the whole box be pulled from under the dash?

Pat

If you're talking about the box that houses the heater core, yes. There are bolts on the engine side of the firewall. You'll also have to pull the blower motor. Use caution when you disconnect the vacuum lines from the selector switch. Them switches are incredibly brittle. The temperature adjusting cable runs across the top of the box and I believe it is secured to the top of the box.

Back