R-Bodies Good or Bad?

streetmachine

Reaction score
Okay, so I've had some more things happen this week and I'm leaning toward semi-retiring my truck this year. Yes, I still have the Cordoba but, that's kind of my weekend cruiser so I was thinking of picking up a similar car. I've seen a few 79-81 Chrysler NYers for sale and thought about selling/trading the Mercury later on as crazy as it sounds plus I have some Mopar engine stuff.

The reason why I'm thinking about an R-Body is because I already some sparts parts like electrical stuff plus, I have an extra set of turbine hubcaps and Mirada wheels as well. I've read both good and bad things about the cars but, was just curious? I'm also thinking about a J-Body like a Cordoba but, I don't know. Anyways, just throwing ideas around and I'm kind of a Mopar guy at heart more than anything else.

Last edited:
I personally love R bodies. Some of the trim inside and outside are not so durable, but other than that, they are great cars to drive.

A lighter, more nimble feel compared to the J bodies, although they are related.

I have a '79 New Yorker with the 360 2bbl and get 16.5 mpg usually combined. My '78 NY Coupe will get 14 mpg. I like the car and its pretty clean.
100_0115_resized.JPG

Good engineering, bad initial build quality... that should not be an issue by now. As was said, find the right car.

The most significant issues I had with my 1980 Gran Fury were rust. Check the gas tank and the back of the power brake booster.
Gran Fury.jpg

Get a rust free one with pristine bumpers...they were chromed aluminum and once they started to go, the chrome peeled off in ugly, sharp, shiny, shards.

I looked into restoring a set of R body bumpers and NOBODY would restore them...the best I could manage from one shop was stripping the chrome and polishing/ anodizing them.

Get a rust free one with pristine bumpers...they were chromed aluminum and once they started to go, the chrome peeled off in ugly, sharp, shiny, shards.

I looked into restoring a set of R body bumpers and NOBODY would restore them...the best I could manage from one shop was stripping the chrome and polishing/ anodizing them.
This might be the one(!) time that I could justify painting them the body color. Might even look good.

Hmmm....I don't know. I doubt it. For me, I need the chrome.
On these cars, you really don't have anything to lose. Not like you're going to depreciate it any more than it already has. lol

Old men in hats in the FRBO forum might take a canipshit, though...

the FRBO forum
It's hard to imagine that Joey would build a site for all of two members, though. It's a shame because the purists on FBBO would never allow the R-body into their ranks; they grudgingly allow Cordobas and Magnums as it is.

It's hard to imagine that Joey would build a site for all of two members, though. It's a shame because the purists on FBBO would never allow the R-body into their ranks; they grudgingly allow Cordobas and Magnums as it is.

I hate the snobbery among car people in general. Even worse when it's a sub-culture, of a sub-culture, of a sub-culture. To make a flow chart:

General Public > Car Enthusiasts > Mopar Fans > R-body Fans

Hmmm....I don't know. I doubt it. For me, I need the chrome.
On these cars, you really don't have anything to lose. Not like you're going to depreciate it any more than it already has. lol

Old men in hats in the FRBO forum might take a canipshit, though...

Have Ross dip them bumpers.

Is Ross still on a cruise or skiing? LOL!

Thank you for the post. The reason why I was considering an R-Body is because some of the NOS parts I have will fit the car plus I have an extra set of Mirada 10 spoke wheels. The other thing is I'm thinking of selling or trading the big Mercury for one. Not that I don't like the Mercury, I'm just thinking I'm more of Mopar guy at heart.

As far as sub-cultures in the Mopar Community, yes it's more common than you think. Some Magnum snub the Cordobas and view them as parts donors much like the A/B/E crowd views the C-Bodies as engine/transmission/rear-end donors. I once had a vendor whom I let work on my car dog me out for having a 318/904 in my 68 B-Body and I was told it was worthless when I offered to sale it too this individual.

Anyways, I appreciate a lot of Mopars or other cars including some of the 4 door C-Bodies. I'm somewhat familiar with certain things so that's what I stick with because its easier for me to troubleshoot and know what doesn't work/what does work.

In regards the R-Body another reason I'm considering one is because the car is just about the right size plus the I like the torsion bar setup. Its ashame they didn't continue them since they could have gave better competition to the Ford and GM market. The first ones had quality issues since Chrysler Corp was on the verge of dissolving anyways but, my understanding is "most" of the issues were worked out by the last MY which was 1981. But, thank you again.

Back