Radiator Help

MarkS

Reaction score
Hey all, My radiator had a small leak, so I yanked it and took it to a local shop who is now quoting my $550 to rebuild it. YIKES, big boys budget ain't that wealthy. I have 2 questions...
Is that a normal price to replace the coils?
Is there an aftermarket solution? Cheaper? even if not original, I can't pay that much.
FYI '65 Yorker 413 Auto & A/C

If you want a stock appearing radiator, try looking at the Spectra radiators. Autozone lists some for a 65 Newport and what you'll have to do is figure out the correct one by size and inlet/outlet location. It's gonna take some googling and maybe looking at the Spectra web site.

The good news is that while you have to do some homework, the cost is around $200. Try B506... that's a 27 wide radiator. Spectra Premium/Radiator B506- ReadReviews onSpectra Premium #B506

I had my factory 22" on the 66 recored and cleaned up by a good friend with a rad shop. My "good friend" only charged me $600CDN so sounds like you got a better deal lol

$ 500.00 for a complete recore is about the normal price. I paid the same for the one in my 300. You can get replacements cheaper, but if you want the original, it will cost you.

The radiator for 68 NYer is supposed to be here on Tuesday. I'll take a picture and if you'd like some measurements. I'm not sure where you're hose placements are. Do you have a picture of your old radiator?

Seriously, if you're not that concerned about keeping the car 100% original, get an aluminum radiator. I put a Champion in my '68 300. It fit and worked perfectly. I think it was $250 delivered.

If you want a more original looking radiator, check with Superior Radiator in MI. I know that they offer an aluminum radiator with a stamped top tank (vs a fabricated and welded tank) that looks factory, and they may have one for your car. More expensive than that Champion radiators, but not crazy expensive, i.e. $350 vs. $250, and USA MADE! (Imagine that!).

Good luck.

Chris

I had my original re-cored for $400. I went this way since it's the smaller 22inch and any new aluminum ones I could find are the larger 26-27 kind that would require modifying the support. I also liked since mine is a stick it doesn't have the cooler in it.

If you want a stock appearing radiator, try looking at the Spectra radiators. Autozone lists some for a 65 Newport and what you'll have to do is figure out the correct one by size and inlet/outlet location. It's gonna take some googling and maybe looking at the Spectra web site.

The good news is that while you have to do some homework, the cost is around $200. Try B506... that's a 27 wide radiator. Spectra Premium/Radiator B506- ReadReviews onSpectra Premium #B506

If the pics are accurate, it is a very different set up. lower radiator hose is in the wrong position.

Okay, my Spectra CU332 or B332 came in. Inlet is on the top passenger side, outlet is on the bottom driver side. The only modification I made to the radiator was to cut the bottom slots out to the bottom. This allowed me to leave the bottom two mount bolts in place just like the OEM one. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. It is in and fits well. It was less than $200 when I used an online discount for orders over $100.

Okay, my Spectra CU332 or B332 came in. Inlet is on the top passenger side, outlet is on the bottom driver side. The only modification I made to the radiator was to cut the bottom slots out to the bottom. This allowed me to leave the bottom two mount bolts in place just like the OEM one. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. It is in and fits well. It was less than $200 when I used an online discount for orders over $100.
Good Deal.

I put a Be Cool aluminum radiator in my 65 Newport. I got it for $80 on ebay (new), intending to put in my 65 Dart but 1" too wide to fit between the front frame rails (could have trimmed the lips, would fit a 67+ Dart). I had to drill 4 thru holes thru the Newport radiator support to mount and a shorter battery tray. The side tanks make it wider. A 1980's New Yorker shroud I had fit, w/ a few custom straps. Doesn't have a tranny cooler, but I used an external cooler anyway. Normally, I think they run ~$350. Amazing what you find on ebay. Haven't driven the Newport much since so can't say if it helped. Used to overheat on real hot days or up steep mountain roads w/ the factory radiator, even after a recore.

Back