Radiator Overflow Reservoir

Omni

Reaction score
Good Evening and Merry Christmas
Has anyone added a radiator reservoir to a '65 Newport? If so what years/models did you use? trying to make it look reasonably stock.
Thanks for your time
Omni

Following - I want something that looks sortof OEM, even though there was nothing in place back then.

With the battery and washer fluid reservoir on the driver side, it can only go on the passenger side of the rad yoke.

Look for an OEM reservoir for a '73 or so Chrysler, which mounts on the passenger side of the core support beside the radiator.

Good Morning
Appreciate the info on the location and year.
Merry Christmas
Omni

A few bucks...
100_3096.JPG

Good Morning Luigi
Unfortunately on the '65 I do not have that amount of room between the yoke and the grille.
I do see that you added headlight relays. I did the same.
Omni

I bought a cheap universal reservoir, welded up a bracket to locate it on the forward side of the core support using existing holes and studs located there, painted it flat black, and ran the hose to the bottom nipple (for proper siphoning/air separation). The white unpainted stripe is so I can see the coolant level. In all the times that Mopar experts have nitpicked the OEM aspects of my underhood, it's never been mentioned. It's like it's invisible or something! :D

The closeup photos make everything look much more harsh due to flash, but I did allow a little "patina" to occur...scuff marks, a dot of rust here and there, etc. After all, that reservoir is 50+ years old!

IMG_2055.JPG

Overflow One.JPG

Overflow Two.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

Or redneck style ...
My overflow bottle in the '65 Chrysler is an empty Jack Daniels bottle. It fits exactly between the Radiator and the battery. It stands on the battery tray and is fixed with cable ties :rolleyes:

Good Evening and Merry Christmas
Has anyone added a radiator reservoir to a '65 Newport? If so what years/models did you use? trying to make it look reasonably stock.
Thanks for your time
Omni

Following - I want something that looks sortof OEM, even though there was nothing in place back then.

With the battery and washer fluid reservoir on the driver side, it can only go on the passenger side of the rad yoke.

I used a reservoir from a mid-80's D150...

underhood 006.jpg

underhood 007.jpg

underhood 008.jpg

DSCN2133.JPG

underhood 005.jpg

Agreed - looks exactly like what I hope to do.
If it were me (and it might be in the future!), I'd find a cap with a bit less "80's" wording and warnings for a more sixties-ish period appearance, but I absolutely love the idea of an overflow that already looks aged and certainly much more OEM than my generic aftermarket reservoir.

Dorman makes one that is eminently affordable, and I really like the idea of what @Trace 300 Hurst did - painting it semi-gloss black so it fits in with the other componentry under hood but leaving a stripe of white to be able to view the level.

I can get the Dorman one from my local Napa for something like $22 Canadian. That kind of price appeals to my part Scottish heritage!

:lol::canada:

The old radiators with the large upper top were designed to be used without a reservoir. If properly filled there should be a good sized air void under the cap which compensates for expansion and promotes even flow across the top of the core. If the car does not leak or overheat no fluid loss on the ground should ever occur. All newer radiators with reservoirs are designed to be completely full with no air gaps with all expansion/ contraction handled by the reservoir.

The old radiators with the large upper top were designed to be used without a reservoir. If properly filled there should be a good sized air void under the cap which compensates for expansion and promotes even flow across the top of the core. If the car does not leak or overheat no fluid loss on the ground should ever occur. All newer radiators with reservoirs are designed to be completely full with no air gaps with all expansion/ contraction handled by the reservoir.
Yep, I agree with that in principle. Now that I've optimized my system I doubt I need the reservoir except under an extreme condition. Our old cars do sometimes overheat (just as they sometimes did 50 years ago) due to old, partially blocked radiator tubes and coolant passages, poor thermostats, or incorrect pump impellers (non-AC on an AC car, etc), and perhaps running too lean on inferior gasoline or an out-of-spec carb. Old systems are old and cranky! So....

1) I prefer that it pukes into an overflow and gets sucked back in when all has cooled.

2) If the overflow is plumbed correctly such that the hose is always submerged (like my bottom feeder reservoir) the innards of the cooling system never gets a breath of fresh oxygen, thus putting a stop to corrosion and degradation of the coolant.

Last edited:
Back