Radiator readings.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Finally broke down and bought an Infrared thermometer to check the accuracy of the temp. gauge in my 76 NYB.
Never had such a miracle of modern technology in my hand before. In my day we stuck our finger in the coolant and....
Any way, I did a few blasts to get the engine as hot as possible running a 180 t-stat. Air temp was 96 degrees w/A.C. running.

Temp. readings all across the top of the radiator and the t-stat housing were reading abot 178 degrees and across the bottom about 110.

Sound right? I think so but I never had a gun before.

I think I'd be comfortable with that.

Those guns rock. I used it to check my radiator when I thought the Polara was running hot. Those temps sound good to me.

Just for interest, how did these readings compare to what the gauge displayed?
lcwPjCx.jpg

Only took a jillion bucks to get there.
Thermostat
Hoses & belts
Water pump
Clutch
Radiator
Air dams

I'm impressed with that 70 degree drop in that Champion radiator at idle.

I recently picked up a new cast iron 8 blade water pump.
I can put that on the shelf for the time being.

Here's a bit of weird science you probably won't believe but it's true. A 50/50 mix of water and glycol is not the ideal mixture for cooling purposes. Actually 70-80% distilled water to 30-20% glycol can lower engine temperatures by as much as 12 degrees and give the cooling system more reserve ability for cooling on really hot days.

Here's a bit of weird science you probably won't believe but it's true. A 50/50 mix of water and glycol is not the ideal mixture for cooling purposes. Actually 70-80% distilled water to 30-20% glycol can lower engine temperatures by as much as 12 degrees and give the cooling system more reserve ability for cooling on really hot days.

That is pretty well known - but what about corrosion protection at such a low antifreeze level? That is what keeps me at 50-50 even in California

There is about 1 to2% corrosion preventative in most glycol based coolants. The amount that exists in a 70/30 mix of distilled water and glycol is more than adequate. Remember this mix is with distilled water, not out of your garden hose and is only used during summer months. You must remember to up the mix for colder seasons. You should never mix different colors of coolant or different types without an absolute cooling system flush. Although claimed by the manufacturer most "HOAT" or "OAT" based coolants are NOT compatible in the least bit.

Only took a jillion bucks to get there.
Thermostat
Hoses & belts
Water pump
Clutch
Radiator
Air dams

I'm impressed with that 70 degree drop in that Champion radiator at idle.

I recently picked up a new cast iron 8 blade water pump.
I can put that on the shelf for the time being.

What fan are you running?

Back