Radiator Recore Cost

Thanks Steve. And yes I'm going with the high efficiency core.
Best money you can spend on a car in good ol Az is cooling. I remember when they were everywhere. Dana is still around and maybe chandler radiator but everyone else in the east valley seems to have retired. And Dana wants $500 to touch anything anymore. My old school guy out here in Bakersfield just closed up his shop and he’d been in business since the 40’s. Kids wanted nothing to do with it. Too bad just one more normal job turning into a dying art.

(Wondering if there might have been some environmental reasons, too?)

Back when our '66 Newport was still a used car, there were a couple of radiator shops in town. No real need to go anywhere else, back then. But one by one, they closed. We didn't know any better back then, but it usually was a 2-3 year repair before it the tank solder would start to seep again. CONSISTENTLY.

When I bought my '70 DH43 in '75, it needed "work" a few years later. I priced a re-core on it (26") and knowing the 2-3 year deal, I priced a new Modine. Went that way, with OEM-level durability. I kept the orig radiator in case I might need the tanks for the numbers.

THAT's when it occurred to me that there might be differing qualities of the sealing solder! Why would the new Modine last much longer than the re-cores did?

When I needed a radiator for my '80 Newport, I found one from a wrecked sheriff's car in the local salvage yard. Took it to the same shop we took our dealership shop's radiators to. An old line radiator shop which the son was running. NO problems with durability, either. Which tended to confirm my suspicion about the quality of solder being used. Provided that everybody was using equivalent cleaning and such of the tank/core flanges to start with.

The current Spectras have the same look AND part number as the earlier Modines. They fit like they are supposed to, at least on my '70 Monaco. Be that as it may.

Before the Spectras came around, Modine was my default brand for new radiators, if needed. They never disappointed in cooling performance or durability. But as none of my cars are complete show cars, it would not bother me to use a composite high-efficiency radiator in their place, IF I can find one that will bolt in. Perhaps one from a late-model Charger (as in the Gen III conversion done by a member on a Fury Fastop) can be adapted for less money and better performance? Has to look OEM, as much as possible, though.

On our '72 Newport 400 2bbl, after it was a year old or so, there was a TSM about a/c hosing blowing off in the summer heat. The factory-supplied parts included thin die-cut rubber sheeting to ensure that all air that went through the radiator came from the grille area, NOT from underneath the front bumper's valence panel. Seems that in certain conditions, in slow traffic, the hot engine air could get recycled from underneath, back into the a/c condenser/radiator, which increased the head pressure and could rupture the a/c lines. Also a TIC valve to use manifold vacuum to speed up the engine a bit when a certain coolant temp was reached, in the mix, too. We never had any problems, in that respect, so I suspect the "fix" worked? Seemed like it should. In other respects, Chrysler always seemed better about designing their core support areas such that the vast majority of the air that went through the grille went through the radiator, NOT around it (as it seemed to be with many GM front ends).

Whatever works . . .

CBODY67

$500 sounds about right to me. Radiator shops that repair copper brass radiators are kinda of a thing of the past. Recoring a copper brass is a skill that just isn't handed down anymore.
Radiator shops today are more like new aluminum radiator wherhouses.

Sad to say that is the going rate.
The cost of the brass and copper are through the roof.
Vandals are ripping out all the copper wire out of houses that are either still under construction or abandoned to cash in big time.

Those are SPEED, CRACK AND JUNK ADDICTS, not mere "vandals" looking to gratuitously destroy. They do this all over the country. This serves as another good example of why aluminum radiators make a more sensible solution.

Those are SPEED, CRACK AND JUNK ADDICTS, not mere "vandals" looking to gratuitously destroy. They do this all over the country. This serves as another good example of why aluminum radiators make a more sensible solution.

No thanks, I prefer the correct expensive copper.

just had two done one for my 72 newport a two core and a 68 imperial four core . the two core was $500 and the four core was $700

There,s a guy here in my area who did one for me some years ago for a 65 Chrysler 300.
Took the 2 core out and put a 3 core in for 300,- euro,s.
Lot of guys with classic cars , tractors , rallycars going to him.
But yes , most ( not many out there ) are asking around 500,-.

Done and paid for.
IMG_20200424_113745.jpg

That's great that worked out for you. I thought about going the used route but don't want to take a chance on a 50 plus year old radiator being up to the challenge of driving in the Phoenix summer heat. Just going to bite the bullet and pony up the 5 bills.
Well what do they say about famous last words??? I took my new old 26 incher in for a good dunking and it died on the operating table. Good bones but like you said no way after 50 years would it come out like new. The old pro said about 70% was all we were gonna get out of it. So I sprung for a new 3 row core. I’m going from a weezy 19 incher to this 26 inch so a 3 row will be fine for the 318. Price came out to about $400. He said the 4 core would be closer to $500. Tempting but I don’t want to have to run a shroud... there you go.

C05601EE-B7A4-4AB3-81BE-EF5B463B5E95.jpeg

0C39EB61-5935-42B5-9850-3471F6273B03.jpeg

Well what do they say about famous last words??? I took my new old 26 incher in for a good dunking and it died on the operating table. Good bones but like you said no way after 50 years would it come out like new. The old pro said about 70% was all we were gonna get out of it. So I sprung for a new 3 row core. I’m going from a weezy 19 incher to this 26 inch so a 3 row will be fine for the 318. Price came out to about $400. He said the 4 core would be closer to $500. Tempting but I don’t want to have to run a shroud... there you go.

View attachment 379902

View attachment 379903

So you paid only $400 for a 3 row high efficiency 26"radiator recore out the door for $400?

Are you changing your core support as well?

Last edited:
Paying $400 probably didn't get you a high efficiency core, but maybe in your case you may not need one. Are you changing your core support as well?
You’re 100% correct. I figured super duper - 4 row etc etc would be overkill with the smaller engine. It doesn’t get hot even in traffic but the antifreeze smell is strong every now and again in a convertible. That and I don’t live in Phoenix anymore Lol!!!

It has that block off plate so I figure if I pull that this rad will fit the cut out perfectly. I just couldn’t get past $400 to repair that little 19 incher when Matt had this big one available.

If anyone needs the block off plate or the other stuff I’ll post pics and put it up in the free parts section.

JMO, it's a mistake to not to use your shroud. If your having cooling problems. A shroud offers much cooling ability to the radiator.

JMO, it's a mistake to not to use your shroud. If your having cooling problems. A shroud offers much cooling ability to the radiator.
100% agree with you but I’m not sure mine was even born with one. It sure doesn’t look like one was ever in there. If I can get by - fast warm up & H/C needle in the middle uphill & downhill and in traffic I’ll probably skip the shroud. It has really good manners right now and when I finally rebuild the 318 I’ll do it 100% stock no RV cam no nothing. It’s like a farm implement you could leave this car idling until in finally runs out of gas.

Trust me I’ve run motors w 509 cams, W2 stuff and even a surplus DC circle track motor I picked up from Dennis Mauer in Tempe. Now in those monsters a shroud was mandatory.

You’re 100% correct. I figured super duper - 4 row etc etc would be overkill with the smaller engine. It doesn’t get hot even in traffic but the antifreeze smell is strong every now and again in a convertible. That and I don’t live in Phoenix anymore Lol!!!

It has that block off plate so I figure if I pull that this rad will fit the cut out perfectly. I just couldn’t get past $400 to repair that little 19 incher when Matt had this big one available.

If anyone needs the block off plate or the other stuff I’ll post pics and put it up in the free parts section.

A high efficiency core is not denoted by how many rows it has. Rather, it is determined by the number of fins per inch in the core itself. As I said earlier, 4 row cores are only needed if you are having difficulty staying cool during higher speed running conditions and will not help a situation where your issues are only at low speeds such as in traffic (and/or with the a/c on). Relative to the traffic issue regarding cooling, only increasing fin density or radiator width will improve the cooling situation and not going from 3 rows to 4 rows.

I agree with Ken above that not using a shroud is giving away cooling capability.

A high efficiency core is not denoted by how many rows it has. Rather, it is determined by the number of fins per inch in the core itself. As I said earlier, 4 row cores are only needed if you are having difficulty staying cool during higher speed running conditions and will not help a situation where your issues are only at low speeds such as in traffic (and/or with the a/c on). Relative to the traffic issue regarding cooling, only increasing fin density or radiator width will improve the cooling situation and not going from 3 rows to 4 rows.

I agree with Ken above that not using a shroud is giving away cooling capability.
Your right I just meant to say we did discuss hi efficiency in addition to going thicker with 3 v 4 row. I just figured the 26 incher is way bigger so we’d keep it simple and not sweat all the delta T stuff. If it can’t haul the mail I have a pretty good shroud collection. Hottest it’s ever gotten was 3/4 on that 116° Weekend last year up here in Santa Clarita valley. I was stuck on the 14 for about 25 min. Now that I think about it I think the car did better than I did Lol!!! I got fried.

So you had the top down on a 116F day?
I know stupid right? But hey spent better than 3/4 of my life in Phoenix so it’s not really hateful heat until it’s over 118° LoL!!!

Of course you know I’m joking I wasn’t paying attention until I was stuck in traffic and then it was just too late. If I’d know it was gonna be that incredibly hot I would’ve waited for the sun to go down. It was one of those slow bump and grind deals and we never really stopped we just crawled along. The power top was missing everything so down it stayed.

I’ve finally collected everything but the hardware that holds the cylinders to the top frame. Once I get those I’ll plumb everything. Only drawback of a manual top is can’t put it up while you’re driving. I paid the price that day.

Car did fine.

I often cringe when someone asks me if have a radiator that will fit there mopar.
There are just sooooo many different part #s MyMopar.com - Radiator Specifications
I'm not sure what Chrysler engineering was thinking with so many different versions of radiators? GM and Ford had only a handful for years.
It's what makes having your original special to your car rebuilt better than a generic replacement.
I just priced a core rebuilding for a 61 Plymouth 383 Manuel trans rad at a old time radiator shop. The quote was between $500 to $600. When I think about it that's not to bad considering I will never find a good one elsewhere. I should have done while there is somebody around with the skills to do this kinda work. Kinda like finding a 45rpm juke box repair man. A lost skill.

Yup I only paid what I did because my buddy retired and closed his shop in Bako. No more dunking for him. My second choice was the cool old cat up the street from our CAT store. He’s old school and really good but no freebies out of his shop Lol!!!

If you look at my pics you can see I had him move the inlet on the top tank to ape the one on my tiny 19” rad. This way I can stick to the factory hoses. Nothing against flex hoses but I prefer molded to flex. By doing this you can swap radiators at will and you won’t be hampered by routing the hoses in some crazy fashion.

Back