Radio convertion

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided to start a new thread with my radio progress, since it changed from my original plan. Here is a video of the bench test of my converted radio. I am very happy with the results.

Mike any details on how the conversion was done? Cost? Thanks.

Here is where I had the work done. Big John recommended it to me I would highly recommend him. AM/FM Stereo Conversions for old car radios

He is very up front with his pricing and competitive with other guys doing the same thing. Very quick, he received it on a Friday in Florida and I had it in Ohio one week later.

I got the UBS and line input option. The UBS is a little odd I couldn't get my old classic ipod to work through it, but it worked fine through the line input and the sound is crystal clear, no interference. You access the line input by setting your tuner clear to the left.

I have only 3 basic controls on my AM radio. On/off and volume control, tone control, and tuning control. Through those three controls you can control switching from AM to FM and virtual balance and fade.

I also got the outputs, a no brainer at $15. This gives me 2-2 channel outputs for amplifiers, I won't use them, the conversion has plenty of power for 2 sets of 3 1/2 full range speakers. The one I will use is a mono output for a sub woofer, I have mounted in the trunk. I haven't hooked it up yet

Looks and sounds fantastic !! If I had failed in my attempt to fix my AM/FM = this is the outfit I was going to use to convert my original AM unit

Dang...he doesn't convert tape players. I've been toying with converting the 8 track in the T&C to be compatible with the iPod.

Must be the same guts that were used in the am I had done for my Imp.

I got my adapter for my sub woofer hooked up today. The conversion uses 3.5 mini plugs so I need a converter to RCA jacks. I got the amp dialed in in a relatively short period of time. I honestly couldn't be happier, I played a whole variety of my music from my ipod and it all sounds great. It is a nice solid, punching bass not muddy at all.

I thought only having a tone control on the radio would be a negative, and was one the reasons I was thinking of going with an aftermarket radio in the glove box. My 3 1/2" speakers sound great, with not need for bass, I can turn up the treble side of the tone. Nice, clean, and bright and plenty of power for my liking, and everything is crystal clear.

Now I am ready for the 6-1/2 hour drive to Carlisle. :steering:

Back