Radio questions

LatPeahy

Reaction score
So I'm getting my radio conversion done from Gary Tayman and my car, 65 NYr, had the reverb unit in the back, two 6x9s in the rear and I'm gonna run two 4" speakers in the dash grill. Can I bypass the reverb unit from the radio or do I have to run the radio and speakers through it?

Wire the speakers to the pigtails on the radio harness?

Never done a stereo before

I believe the reverb unit is simply a front/rear fade. You can have the reverb unit rebuilt along with your radio to keep the stock configuration or you can bypass it as your radio will likely be rebuilt with a front/rear fade on one of the knobs.

I believe the reverb unit is simply a front/rear fade. You can have the reverb unit rebuilt along with your radio to keep the stock configuration or you can bypass it as your radio will likely be rebuilt with a front/rear fade on one of the knobs.
The reverb is more than that. It's a way of delaying the sound to the rear and making the interior sound larger. If you turn it all the way up, you can really hear the delay... almost an echo.

It's a monaural piece though, not stereo. In other words, one channel. It was a way of making AM broadcast music sound a little better. With the updated radio/stereo, it's pretty much useless at best.

The way it worked was it had springs that attached on each side of the box and the signal to the rear speakers passed through them. The springs delayed the signal slightly. The longer the spring (or more springs) the more delay. The switch would allow the signal to pass or not pass through some of the springs (5 springs?). If you hit a bump, the springs would stretch and there would be a "wow" type distortion.

Reverb trivia: Know the sound that starts the song "Wipe Out" just before the laugh? That was a Fender reverb being kicked.

Back