Is There an Easier Way to Remove the Radio From a 1968 Dash?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Greetings Slab Side Elders! While I'm not YET REPLACING my old thumb wheel AM radio, it struck me that I can't replace the dash speaker much unless I move it out of the way.... Even this doesn't look easy. I read the FSM on this matter, and really don't care much for the notion of disconnecting the heater controls to get that big old heavy metal box out by dropping it through the bottom, when there might well be an Easy Way; via the glove compartment door. My Question for Ye Learned Elders is, "Can the radio be removed through the glove compartment space more easily than going straight down through all the many connected wires, controls et al directly beneath it?" It APPEARS to be feasible via this alternate path. Have any of you done so thus? I found removing and installing the glove box fairly trivial, and deem it unnecessary to fully remove it, just to get the radio out.

I wouldn't suggest there is an "easy" way however removing the heater controls is almost a must. As is being quite flexible and nimble.

One night, I was at my shadetree shop and got the urge to see about installing the AM/FM multiplex I had found at Mopar Nats years earlier. After getting the center panel of the IP off, as I needed the one I got with the "upgrade" radio, I think I decided I could get the radio out laterally via the glove box area than from underneath? But after I determined it would fit, I put it all back together as I was not too willing to run the cable to the trunk to mount the control box. So it's all still on the shelf.

Possibly, might be easier from the bottom, once you get the vac harness unplugged and the heater control out of the way?

One thing not really noticed on the '67-'68 Chryslers is the slight peak in the middle of the radio faceplate and surrounding trim panel. Only the OEM radios will look like they belong there, to me.

CBODY67

One night, I was at my shadetree shop and got the urge to see about installing the AM/FM multiplex I had found at Mopar Nats years earlier. After getting the center panel of the IP off, as I needed the one I got with the "upgrade" radio, I think I decided I could get the radio out laterally via the glove box area than from underneath?

It appears to be an easier job this way, doesn't it?

But after I determined it would fit, I put it all back together as I was not too willing to run the cable to the trunk to mount the control box. So it's all still on the shelf.

I can relate.

Possibly, might be easier from the bottom, once you get the vac harness unplugged and the heater control out of the way?

I fear this is the easiest path, as per the FSM, but still find the lateral path I propose tempting. I installed a new glovebox over a year ago, which went easily enough and think it may yet offer fewer screw operations than the prescribed orthodox path from the FSM. It appears that one needn't even completely remove the glovebox, just MOVE it a bit, then slide the radio over to the point occupied by the most shallow portion of the glovebox, then permit the radio to drop.

BUT, its not worth attempting unless its a sure bet. That's when I decided to post this thread. I reckon I'd best go count screws out there, as well as sundry wires, hoses et al to get a GOOD estimate of the Number of Operations for each removal path.

One thing not really noticed on the '67-'68 Chryslers is the slight peak in the middle of the radio faceplate and surrounding trim panel. Only the OEM radios will look like they belong there, to me.

Right on! I have another one, in better shape. I thought of this whole job because I want to change out the dash speaker for the NOS underdash Craig cassette player w an NOS Pioneer amp. I have a Bluetooth adapter for the cassette playerand two 6x9 Kenwood triaxial speakers, plus a truck style speaker box composed of a pair of 8 " woofers, w a pair of 3" tweeters. The amp is meant for 8 ohm impedances, not the modern 4 ohm setup. I tried the speakers out with the amp and tape player already, and it all sounds very good. BUT, I want that dash speaker replaced. I got the back seat speaker already, which went very easily.

So you now know enough about what motivated me to begin this job despite afternoon temperatures exceeding 110 F. Given this ambience, I confine my labors to the morning and night.

I may well just blow off the dash speaker for now. I can circuit a 3 speaker setup for the amp easily enough, or even get a pair of boxed speakers to place near the doors. AM radio sits exactly at the very bottom of my priority stack, but hey, if I have a working receiver meant for a 67/68 dash, why not use it?

I wouldn't suggest there is an "easy" way however removing the heater controls is almost a must. As is being quite flexible and nimble.

I'm pretty flexible. I worked over my 66 dash easily enough too. I'm also Lazy on Principle, which is why I explore sundry paths and then pick the best before breaking a sweat.

Having had 4 68 Chrysler's my opinion is to do it the way the box says. I've spent hours in those dashes.

Pull the ash tray and bracket.

Be ever so careful removing the vacuum harness, remove the AC duct, remove the switch and out she comes.

You spend time messing around in the glove box and then have to do it the way the book tells you to.

Having had 4 68 Chrysler's my opinion is to do it the way the box says. I've spent hours in those dashes.

Pull the ash tray and bracket.

Be ever so careful removing the vacuum harness, remove the AC duct, remove the switch and out she comes.

You spend time messing around in the glove box and then have to do it the way the book tells you to.

THANKS! THIS was precisely the sort of advice I sought, though not the answer I had hoped for. I will just have to dedicate some day this Fall or winter to do that little chore, along w some others in the dash then. At least its not a critical component, and the underdash cassette player will actually play all the tunes I want. Hell, I might even repair the spare '68 AM radio I have before I do the job, making it worth doing.

Now I have even more trepidation about putting the AM/FM radio into my 73 Polara that I found.

Now I have even more trepidation about putting the AM/FM radio into my 73 Polara that I found.

Maybe with good cause! This '68 seems to be one of the most troublesome cases I've ever owned, and I have put tuners in many late 60s-70s vehicles. Yours might be easier, or not, IDK....

Back