Ran out of gas ugh!

straightjob

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Good morning my 70 300 convertible was delivered on Thursday evening Yay! Guy delivered it to a Wawa near my home, so of course the fuel gauge doesn't work ! i filled the car up premium gage didn't move (shocking!) I reset the handy trip OD to 0000 , long story short when i filled it it back loaded up the neck so it full right? Drove it to work to day on its new shoes :) 235/70/R15 Cooper Cobras , car rides spectacular ! So i hit 99 miles on the trip od and it ran out of gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH Got it going with a gas can and prime , i refilled the care and it took 14.3569 gallons @4.259 per gallon at a total cost of 61.15 i made sure it flowed out. Am i missing some thing ?? please any ideas would be greatly appreciated than you all.

703004.jpg

Well, I think the tank is supposed to hold about 22 gallons so you should probably be able to get between 250 to 300 miles out of a tank of gas. I think what's wrong is there is something wrong with the fuel pickup in the tank not allowing you to use all the fuel in the tank.

Could be a clogged up fuel filter or partially blocked fuel line causing fuel starvation. I had a Chevy years ago that would run fine in town but would suffer fuel starvation at highway speeds. I replaced the fuel filter and that cured it. Good luck.

Something easily overlooked is that you're possibly not actually filling the tank to the top. I've had this issue on my Imperial where the filler neck wouldn't flow properly. This would lead to the fuel bubbling up the filler neck, giving the impression that the tank was full and made the fuel nozzle shut off.

If the filler is behind the plate you need to point nose down when filling, it doesn't take much.
Even level will play games on filling it full.

Alan

It happens, especially with a new old ride, and when the gauge doesn't work.

I run the pump on the lowest setting, it can shut itself off if it's flowing faster. On new to me cars, I'll fill it and listen to the fuel starting to come back up the neck. Then I'll let a little spill out, and give it a squeeze more to determination me if it's really full or not. You just have to pay a little more attention to these old tanks.

How was filling it with the gas can? I carry a funnel with a hose, and a bunny cord to hang it from, only took me over a decade to figure that one out.

a rust hole in the pickup tube could suck air...could be at the level where the car sat forever with bad gas in it...could have corroded the sender rheostat as well

DO check all three of the rubber fuel line sections for newness! Then make sure the sending unit to fuel line clamp/ground strap is in place as it should be (which can relate to the gauge not working if the tank is not grounded).

Nice looking car.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks ill rebuild the carter on it now i cant find one to replace it , does anyone know a good plug and play edlebrock i can use it has the electric choke also .

Well, I think the tank is supposed to hold about 22 gallons so you should probably be able to get between 250 to 300 miles out of a tank of gas. I think what's wrong is there is something wrong with the fuel pickup in the tank not allowing you to use all the fuel in the tank.
Tank is 24 gallons

My new-to-me C body vert also arrived Thursday. The gas gage doesn't work on this one either. I took it to the gas station on the next block today and put in ten gallons. Don't know how much was in there before. Figured I would start at ten gallons and then see if there are any wet spots on the garage floor under the gas tank before attempting to fill it all the way.

DSCN0464.JPG

DSCN0460.JPG

My new-to-me C body vert also arrived Thursday. The gas gage doesn't work on this one either. I took it to the gas station on the next block today and put in ten gallons. Don't know how much was in there before. Figured I would start at ten gallons and then see if there are any wet spots on the garage floor under the gas tank before attempting to fill it all the way.

View attachment 628249

View attachment 628250
Nice looking car, it has the 500 wheel covers. Care to share the fender tag with us?

Nice looking car, it has the 500 wheel covers. Care to share the fender tag with us?
Its not a 500. I just put those wheel covers on today when I removed the fender skirts. It came with 1964 Polara 500 wheel covers. I like the 66 500 wheel covers better, and had a set lying around.
1700351416476.png
1700351493614.png

The '66 covers look much better, as does the open rear wheel well. I'm not a fan of skirts on a '66.

As for our old cars and iffy gas gauges, I always treat them like a motorcycle, go a known distance, stop and top off to figure out your possible range.

Back