Rare 1972 Imperial restoration!

ChryslerCaptain

Reaction score
Hello all! I just thought I’d share my most recent purchase a rare one of 23 two door 1972 Imperials with a sunroof! 32441577-8537-4C2B-A519-A92971141CB6.jpeg

CAFCAD01-B665-4F2D-A8F9-16D7DAAFFADF.jpeg

8DDE0E22-8C4E-48C4-8C4E-53C8B749FDA7.jpeg

FA3F6251-7595-4A57-BA5A-5237391150EE.jpeg

BEE8AECA-F206-4B37-B75C-DFC9E92FC490.jpeg

FAF099AC-6939-4E31-BA18-6B2617B15BCD.jpeg

D41C8B97-F650-4134-8B6E-E2E401C18AE4.jpeg

Wow nice car, B1 blue car with blue vinyl top and optional blue bucket seats and tilt steering column. Being a 2 door this is already a rare car but with this color combo and being nicely optioned it is very rare. Good luck with the restoration.
Do you have all parts or is something missing? What about rust ?

Wonderful -- look forward to hearing more about YM23T2C1126x8 (can't read the last few digits, is it YM23T3C112638 or YM23T3C112658 or?)

Sunroof and H54 dual ATC, you are a courageous man! The interior looks to be ready to clean up, intact rim blow wheel it seems -- other folks should have panels.

Wow nice car, B1 blue car with blue vinyl top and optional blue bucket seats and tilt steering column. Being a 2 door this is already a rare car but with this color combo and being nicely optioned it is very rare. Good luck with the restoration.
Do you have all parts or is something missing? What about rust ?
Yes I have all the parts! (with the exception of a armrest) as far as Rust I can see that there was some on the back window but the previous owner had already fixed it

With it nearing the one year anniversary of me owning this car I figured I would post an update for those who care. Since this post I’ve
-rebuilt the 440 as close to factory specs as possible
-painted the engine bay don’t give me flack about it being black im painting the car black haha
-completely redone front&back suspension
-redid the entire brake system rebuilt the calipers myself got the booster rebuilt, new lines, front to back
-new tires
-replaced the instrument cluster and fixed all the issues with the old wiring
-fixed a considerable amount of floor rust for a Florida car.
-replaced the trans that the PO “rebuilt” himself
And there’s too much small stuff to remember.
I’m going to start working on the interior within the next few weeks. But I don’t expect to make any huge progress until the summer being as I’m still in HS and can only work limited hours and having to balance parts budget between two Mopars isn’t exactly easy. Lol

IMG_6629.jpeg

IMG_7430.jpeg

IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_8569.jpeg

IMG_8878.jpeg

IMG_8931.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

Last edited:
Still in high school?? I’m doubly impressed! :thumbsup:

With it nearing the one year anniversary of me owning this car I figured I would post an update for those who care. Since this post I’ve
-rebuilt the 440 as close to factory specs as possible
-painted the engine bay don’t give me flack about it being black im painting the car black haha
-completely redone front&back suspension
-redid the entire brake system rebuilt the calipers myself got the booster rebuilt, new lines, front to back
-new tires
-replaced the instrument cluster and fixed all the issues with the old wiring
-fixed a considerable amount of floor rust for a Florida car.
-replaced the trans that the PO “rebuilt” himself
And there’s too much small stuff to remember.
I’m going to start working on the interior within the next few weeks. But I don’t expect to make any huge progress until the summer being as I’m still in HS and can only work limited hours and having to balance parts budget between two Mopars isn’t exactly easy. Lol

View attachment 653354

View attachment 653355

View attachment 653356

View attachment 653357

View attachment 653358

View attachment 653359

View attachment 653360

View attachment 653361

View attachment 653362

View attachment 653363

A truly nice score. Checks all the boxes and then some.

Too bad about the planned color change. . . How's that blue interior gonna work with a black paint job?

Please keep us posted.

A truly nice score. Checks all the boxes and then some.

Too bad about the planned color change. . . How's that blue interior gonna work with a black paint job?

Please keep us posted.
I’m not exactly married to the black paint job, but my grandfather’s last car before he passed away was a triple black 72 IMP, 4dr so I think it would be kind of cool to do a tribute to that. Assuming I do go that route. I was just gonna leave the blue interior until I eventually find a parts car with a black interior.

I’m not exactly married to the black paint job, but my grandfather’s last car before he passed away was a triple black 72 IMP, 4dr so I think it would be kind of cool to do a tribute to that. Assuming I do go that route. I was just gonna leave the blue interior until I eventually find a parts car with a black interior.

I hear you. But your car is very rare, and the blue interior really works with the original color. A proper black paint job is gonna cost a fortune. In addition, Imperial interior changes/restoration is highly expensive as well .

But it's your car, so do it to please yourself.

Awesome car!
Unfortunate color change.
I hope you keep the blue interior. Blue Interiors look great on a tx9 black car.
It will be a sweet looking car in black for sure!

Could you post a picture of the broadcast sheet?
I have some curiosities towards sun roof cars and what is written on the broadcast sheets.

Is the vin YM23T3C112638 or YM23T3C112658 ? Or is the 3/5/ a 7?

Awesome car!
Unfortunate color change.
I hope you keep the blue interior. Blue Interiors look great on a tx9 black car.
It will be a sweet looking car in black for sure!

Could you post a picture of the broadcast sheet?
I have some curiosities towards sun roof cars and what is written on the broadcast sheets.

Is the vin YM23T3C112638 or YM23T3C112658 ? Or is the 3/5/ a 7?

To answer your question, the Vin is YM23 T2G 112878. I hope the provided photos are sufficient. It was still kind of hard to read the fender tag so I took a photo of the back and inverted it. I’ve never had the time or know how to decode the broadcast sheets. If you Find anything interesting please let me know!

IMG_3890.jpeg

IMG_3891.jpeg

IMG_3894.jpeg

Great progress in a year, I have a truck that has been sitting around waiting for me to work on it, I think it's going on 10yrs:rolleyes:

To answer your question, the Vin is YM23 T2G 112878. I hope the provided photos are sufficient. It was still kind of hard to read the fender tag so I took a photo of the back and inverted it. I’ve never had the time or know how to decode the broadcast sheets. If you Find anything interesting please let me know!
Thank you for posting the tag and build sheet of YM23T2C112878 (it is a C for Jefferson Plant in MI, not a G). @69CoronetRT @cuda hunter

I’ve never had the time or know how to decode the broadcast sheets. If you Find anything interesting please let me know!

Y13 dealer demo.

As stated above, you have some documented provenance for an interesting car. Please think long and hard about a color change for THIS particular car and consider using another car as a tribute car.

Back