Real Fight Trying to Install New Ignition Wiring

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Guys,
Working on installing brand new mopar ignition system and the plug for the harness does not seem to match up with the ECU. Anyone experience this before?
Thanks,
77newyorker440

It only goes on one way. Do you mean the harness has five pin holes and the ECU only has 4? That is because they eliminated the fifth pin which was for start up I think. It was not needed so it was abandoned, but the five pin architecture has remained.
Should have 2 wires for the magnetic pick up signal, and one for power to ECU, the last wire is for negative side of the coil. The ECU needs a very good ground, it may run fine up to ~4500 rpm and then fall flat, like it ran out of gas, 99.9% sure it is ground.

plug for the harness does not seem to match up
Since your car originally had lean burn/spark control, the plug with relevant wires should look like this:
lean_burn.jpg

The Mopar electronic ignition has a plug that looks like this:
Mopar_Ign-module.jpg

Yes I have found a number of fit issues with the ones made in the last 20 years or so. I just trim some of the rubber on the inside of the plug with an Exacto knife.

Yep that is what I ended up doing, just wanted to make sure that I was not the only one with this problem before I started cutting the plug. Thank you!

Back