Rear axle bearing replacement.

Both my 70s went bad, both cars sat .
The previous owner of this car had it since 92 and put on less than 4000 miles. My other 70 sat for long periods of time. The last before the original owners released her was 15 years.....thanks for the input

I personally never had Problems with cars parked but old grease also seems to tend to resinify. Had this with tie rods with grease Fittings. You pressed in new grease but it didn't get to the Joints as they were blocked by the old grease. Went bad within a few hundred miles.

I bought a small press from Northern Tool for work that is a lot nicer than the Harbor Fright press and not much more $. It's short in height and would be perfect for 99% of the jobs you need a press for. I'll see if I can find a link.

So, why do axle bearings go bad?

Does a car sitting for years help bearings go flat or even dry out?
Bearings go bad even packed with grease if installed and not used.
There are still molecules of moisture packed in with the grease. Not moving the metal surfaces around with the grease against them can't "scrub" the metal of moisture.
Learned that in metallurgy. College was good for sumthin. Lol.

I ordered two sets this morning and should have them by weeks end. I also pulled the axles tonight, the bearings had a lot of wiggle going on. Once the bearings arrive the axles will be shop bound.. Thank you all for the testosterone shot

timkin-kit.jpg

This is the photo from Doctor Diff for the axle bearing package for an 8 3/4 axle. What is confusing to me is that on his website, he says this package is for tapered axles, but as far as I know, those were discontinued with the 1964 models. So my question is whether the title for this listing (below) should really say tapered bearings instead of for tapered axle shafts???

http://www.doctordiff.com/tapered-axle-bearing-package.html

Has anyone actually installed Doctor Diffs repair kits and fixed the leaks and noisy rear axle bearings?

Bearings for the tapered axle look nothing like that.

I think that "tapered" in the web site refers to the bearings being tapered, which is the correct bearing for later rear ends.

I'd call or email them to be sure.

I ordered two sets a couple months back. Had one set installed on the axle shafts. The other is still in the bag waiting for a car

Subscribing to this old thread since I may have a need to do my axle bearings.

I like some of these old threads. Lots of good information.

Back