Rear axle bearing replacement.

AND this is why I dont like the FSM...... . They tell you "remove the inner seal"...ok, How?

I checked at Advanced, where my son in law to be is employed and they dont have one. I'm gonna hate to walk into Auto Zone

Of course, I asked him if they have a tool to pull them, I wasnt specific

Well that was a lot easier than It appears.

The seals came out with a screwdriver and intimidation. New ones went in without a hitch, a ball joint socket is the perfect size for tapping them in.

The price of collar and bearing removal and reinstall was $160.00 which was high but required..... everything appears good, we'll see how long it lasts

20150426_170306.jpg

So we had her out Sunday...... forget the boring tired old joke about the six dead bodies....That's two full ,overflowing shopping carts from the Sams club in there

20150426_170306.jpg

The price of collar and bearing removal and reinstall was $160.00 which was high but required..... everything appears good, we'll see how long it lasts

You need to make a friend with a press...... I paid $20.00 to a local trans shop to do the same thing.
Glad you got it done though..

I had no problem with the 12 ton Harbor Freight. Always tapered rollers, greens will strand you if you really drive the car.

So, why do axle bearings go bad?

Does a car sitting for years help bearings go flat or even dry out?

It would have to be degraded grease or maybe rust/pitting contamination from sitting. I can't seen rollers flattening or races getting notches in them from sitting. You would think that some springtime potholes with the 6 bodies in the trunk would impact the bearing more than sitting still.

Back