Rear Disc Brakes

In a panic stop, you jump on the brake pedal, right. Thats why anti-lock brakes were invented.
Barring having anti-lock brakes, the brakes are going to lock up, if working properly. As they should.
Properly sized and working drum bakes in back, locked up, are no less efficient than discs in the rear. You are not going to stop in a shorter distance.

Just understand proportioning and drums are no less inferior.
Going down a 7% grade for 5 miles with a 32' Winnebago is a different story but 99% of us will never do that.

The advantage of disc brakes is their resistance to fading from over heating.

Properly sized and working drum bakes in back, locked up, are no less efficient than discs in the rear. You are not going to stop in a shorter distance.

The advantage of disc brakes is their resistance to fading from over heating.

Well then, you have never driven my car with drums on the highway for a hour then try to stop, have you? Just the fact that the shoe just barely rides on the drum while driving heated them enough to become a problem, no matter what or how I adjusted them. I can stop far faster then you guys can any day with 4 wheel disc, and that's fine by me.
If a under 2000# rice ball can have 4 wheel disc, why can't a 4000+# monster have them? You do what you do, and I'll do what I do!

Well then, you have never driven my car with drums on the highway for a hour then try to stop, have you? Just the fact that the shoe just barely rides on the drum while driving heated them enough to become a problem, no matter what or how I adjusted them. I can stop far faster then you guys can any day with 4 wheel disc, and that's fine by me.
If a under 2000# rice ball can have 4 wheel disc, why can't a 4000+# monster have them? You do what you do, and I'll do what I do!
Stubs, I'm talking about rear brakes.

The original poster asked a simple question if it was worth him spending the 500. Clearly he's on a budget, then guys want to argue that discs are far better than drums which no one is denying.

Back