Reason timing is different depending on distributor part #?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
I noticed I need to pay attention to the distributor # when timing my 301 V8 though I don't know why. I thought mine was 8 degrees BTDC but after looking at the # it's 4 degrees BTDC according to the FSM and the glove box manual. Why?

I think you are okay using that distributor. I would go with a little more advance than 4 degrees. How does it run when you have it set at 8 degrees? On a Poly 301 I would use 10 degrees of advance.

"Power Pack" meant 4bbl and usually factory dual exhaust. Maybe a bit higher compression ratio, than the 2bbl engines, too?

Use the old specs as a guide on hot base ignition timing. I'd ease it up to where it trace rattles on acceleration or going up a hill ON the fuel you are using. Which is what "hot rodders" back then probably did anyway. Then, watch the temp gauge for any rises from what it now is, plus the spark plug porcelains for white chalky deposits. (indications the timing is a bit too fast). Key thing is that the engine feels happy!

Get the point dwell in spec first, THEN set the ignition timing, in that order.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

"Power Pack" meant 4bbl and usually factory dual exhaust. Maybe a bit higher compression ratio, than the 2bbl engines, too?

Use the old specs as a guide on hot base ignition timing. I'd ease it up to where it trace rattles on acceleration or going up a hill ON the fuel you are using. Which is what "hot rodders" back then probably did anyway. Then, watch the temp gauge for any rises from what it now is, plus the spark plug porcelains for white chalky deposits. (indications the timing is a bit too fast). Key thing is that the engine feels happy!

Get the point dwell in spec first, THEN set the ignition timing, in that order.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
I think you're referring to hearing the engine ping? Then you back off or retard timing until it doesn't.

I think you are okay using that distributor. I would go with a little more advance than 4 degrees. How does it run when you have it set at 8 degrees? On a Poly 301 I would use 10 degrees of advance.
It runs fine except when cold and it has an erratic miss. Remember California has Monkey piss for gas. How much power should this engine have. It's smooth but not terribly impressive. Of course, it has another 400 miles to go for the rings to seat.

Trace rattle is a slight ping. Can accelerate out of it when the vac advance decreases with additional throttle, sometimes.

Don't think that CA has a corner on flaky fuel!

When it's missing when it's cold, is black smoke coming from the tail pipe(s)?

Do NOT expect a sudden rush of power when the rings finish their deal. What you now have is pretty much what it always will have, as to power. Respect the power it has and learn how to drive the car to best use that power. WOT will not help, so use smaller throttle opening when leaving red lights, for example, so the vac advance stays charged for more total advance when driving. Like 1/4 to 1/3 throttle.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Trace rattle is a slight ping. Can accelerate out of it when the vac advance decreases with additional throttle, sometimes.

Don't think that CA has a corner on flaky fuel!

When it's missing when it's cold, is black smoke coming from the tail pipe(s)?

Do NOT expect a sudden rush of power when the rings finish their deal. What you now have is pretty much what it always will have, as to power. Respect the power it has and learn how to drive the car to best use that power. WOT will not help, so use smaller throttle opening when leaving red lights, for example, so the vac advance stays charged for more total advance when driving. Like 1/4 to 1/3 throttle.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
No black smoke which would be a too rich condition. Any thoughts on my other post for the door holder?

No black smoke which would be a too rich condition. Any thoughts on my other post for the door holder?
We had a '56 Savoy 4-dr sedan, but I was too young to remember any details about a lot of it's mechanicals. I'm thinking it is a friction drag on a two-piece flat piece that expands after the door is open about 1/2 way? Possibly the friction items are worn? Which is why checking the rh door for comparison might be a good idea?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You don't want it to ping since the rings are broke in yet. Make site to back it down from ping by 4 degrees.

You could get noticeably more power out of it after rings seal up. Take it on an hour trip, make it work, lean into the throttle on uphill runs, but don't rev it over 3000 rpm to start, the get up to 3500 rpm around 500 miles, then change oil. Don't let is sit and idle, drive it!

If you read the old factory-recommended break-in recommendations for NEW engines, the issue of "no full power" and no speeds above 60mph ARE operative as the various moving parts learn to get along with each other AND the green block cures with the heat cycles.

After the initial, relatively-easy miles, then progressively higher road speeds are allowed. Plus some "passing gear" applications while cruising to help things along. Until by the end of the 500 miles, all of the break-in procedures are no longer needed.

One caution, through all of this, is "steady-state cruising". Reason is that a variety of rpm levels are needed, which relates to manifold vacuum levels. Just as moderate accelerations are recommended to "break-in" the thrust surfaces of the pistons and bearings, ALSO somewhat equal levels of "coast" times to increase the manifold vacuum levels to pull oil up into the ring and piston skirt areas, so the rings and such do not run dry, by comparison. This way, both orientations of power and coast sides of things get equal attention. Even in such cruise conditions, the speed variations can be as little as 5mph up and down, which normal traffic patterns might do anyway. Even using the cruise control can have varied loads with the same speed (in hilly areas). But running at the same speed on level terrain is not desired.

IF you live in a somewhat hilly terrain, the power and coast functions tend to come naturally, as you apply a bit of throttle to go up hills and then remove throttle to coast down the other side, then regain cruising throttle on the flat spaces between the hills. All within posted speed limits.

Consider, too, that each new car engine has already gotten 30 minutes of run time at the engine plant before it was shipped to the car assy plant. Which can be one reason that when the formal break-in period is not followed, really bad things tendee not to happen, in most cases. Which also usually did not result in failure as the salespeople told new owners to "Drive it normally, like you usually do."

Contrast this with what I discovered in a "Popular Mechanics" comment about breaking-in a REBUILT engine. The "break-in" period is mainly concerned with the piston rings rather than "everything", it stated. Of course, new bearings and such, with (usually, back then) re-using the old pistons. Much could also be related to the rings being used. I recall some softer rings being termed "quick-seater" rings, for example, by the manufacturer. But as they would wear-in quicker, their total durability could be less than the harder chrome rings, I suspect. A LOT depended on the slickness of the honed cylinder wall surface, too.

One local mechanic (with a decent rebuild record) said that when the engine was first started and the cam issues taken care of, the first thing he would do is go out "and get the engine hot". Which meant some heavier throttle applications in the mix. Then after about 30 minutes, let things cool down, change the oil, and hand the keys to the customer. Done. This was with a "rings and bearings" type of "overhaul". If the pistons had enough wear to "make noise", then a machine shop was needed.

As common as a honed cylinder wall surface might seem generic, it is an ever-progressing "science" as "plateau honing" is the latest advancement. Using a computerized honing machine and different abrasive types and grits to make it happen and unlock horsepower in race engines. Not to forget the thinner rings helping power, too, due to decreased drag on the cyl walls. Google "plateau honing rottler" to find some YT videos on this. This technique can allegedly make 100+ more horsepower in a Winston Cup engine, according to Lake Speed, Jr.

Personally, the "power and coast" orientation makes sense to me. Gradually applying more power as the miles/run times increase. With a CURED block, the machining will "stay where it is" and not "move" as can happen with a green, uncured block. Which is why Grumpy Jenkins preferred "cured" blocks to build his race motors with. "Move" is probably measured in .001" rather than anything larger, I suspect. When building a top output high-load race engine, such things can be important for max power production. On a street engine, not quite so much.

Still, great machining on a cured block, with high quality parts and "better-than-they-was-back-then" lubricants, the rebuilt motor should run longer than the original motor did, I suspect.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back