Rebuilding the entire front end.

I know there are a few of us rebuilding our front ends this winter. Here are a couple of really good articles with lots of picture and tips. I would have ruined a control arm bushing if I hadn't read this article.

I try to learn my lessons the hard way. You're kinda cheating. ;)

I just bought a new kit from them and James looked out for me as well. They have 15% discounts during some holidays too and all orders are free shipping IIR

I try to learn my lessons the hard way. You're kinda cheating. ;)

I have done it the hard way too many times already. I prefer to call it doing it smarter, than cheating.:parts book:

I would save the trouble of the t bar removal tool and just pry control arm rearward till t bar pops out the back unless you are not removing arm. The l.c.a. outer sleeve is removed easily by dropping washers into outer sleeve, as big as will fit and the smallest center hole, drop a couple in then using a air chisel or a manual one if you must fold over front edge of sleeve in at least three spots trapping the washers, from the t bar hex side insert something that fits through hole a extension works well, and press washers and sleeve right out of arm, no cutting, pounding, swearing, etc. and you get your washers back.

I know there are a few of us rebuilding our front ends this winter. Here are a couple of really good articles with lots of picture and tips. I would have ruined a control arm bushing if I hadn't read this article.

http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2011/vi_10-torsiontips-1.html

http://www.moparmax.com/tech/2011/vi_11-torsiontips-1.html

Good articles, but a note of caution re that little bit of grease to help press in the bushings. These bushings (upper and lower control arm) must not be lubricated - the FSM also makes this clear.

My story: I went through the first time nightmare of replacing the LCA bushings. One important point: do not use grease or any lubricant to assist pressing in bushing shells (upper or lower control arm) or you will end up with annoying creaks. Unfortunately, the only part of this work I didn't do myself was pressing in these bushings (didn't have a 20 ton press handy) - my mechanic did, and in his wisdom he decided to do just that - lube the bushing shells. Now I have annoying creaks every time I go over a speed hump or something.

I saw a magazine article about rebuilding an entire front end, and they showed how to make a torsion bar tool out of angle iron and a piece of tubing. I'll look around for the picture.

Edited to add:

Here's the picture. The article was called "Torsion Bar Front Suspension Rebuild Tips and Tricks" from Mopar Max Magazine.

BAR-05.jpg

BAR-05.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a magazine article about rebuilding an entire front end, and they showed how to make a torsion bar tool out of angle iron and a piece of tubing. I'll look around for the picture.

Edited to add:

Here's the picture. The article was called "Torsion Bar Front Suspension Rebuild Tips and Tricks" from Mopar Max Magazine.

View attachment 25061

I'm curious if that would facilitate the larger diameter torsion bars our C Bodies are equipped with.

I don't see why not, it would depend on the size of the angle and the size of the u-bolts. If you were really worried about not scuffing the torsion bar, you could even use aluminum angle, which being softer than steel would be less likely to mar the surface. I think I happen to have some left over from the old race car stash...

But now that I come back to the thread, I see that the same article I pulled the picture from was the one linked a couple pages back.

No idea what this is but it works like a charm.
I do know it is a electric utility item, not sure if it is a tool or a tap or?
2013-01-20_003.jpg

Alan

No idea what this is but it works like a charm.
I do know it is a electric utility item, not sure if it is a tool or a tap or?
2013-01-20_003.jpg

Alan

Looks like a connector for HV tubular busbars used in many outdoor electricity substation yards. Or some very thin scaffolding...

My buddy brought the tool over to remove the torsion bars and now the front suspension is completely off. Yanking on a loose torsion bar and smashing you finger between it and the frame doesn't feel very good.

Suspension off.sm.jpg

Suspension off.sm.jpg

Back