Remember when?

9dc12ac8e16f388340a289664ae37a8298ff7fd3.jpg

Tootsie Toys, I remember these, I never owned any but somebody in the neighborhood did, I remember the car lift and playing with that and the tow truck.

Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).001.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).002.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).005.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).006.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).007.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).008.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).009.jpg
Tootsietoys Lot - $200 (Portsmouth).010.jpg

I have an Akai GXC-725D cassette deck next to me. Below that a late 70s direct drive Technics being driven by a restored 1968 Pioneer SX-1000TD. I have another 8 receivers stored away from Marantz, Technics, Sansui, MCS, Sony, and Radio Shack. Have a complete rebuild kit for the Marantz 2238 for use one day. Love the silver faces.

Here in Floriduh the big tooting of the horn lately is 'Freedom Playgrounds', who knows WTF that is all about, and just now on the local radio chucklefest show the woman hosting it admitted that she has only lived here for 3 months. And don't talk to me about the new playgrounds that they have built $$$$ especially the ones that have a 'splashpad'.
Real smart... the junkies move right in and get a *FREE* shower! Immediately turning off the water with the never ending excuse that it is under repair or maintenance.

:mad::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: :stop:

Nothing like a 10 ft tall metal slide surrounded by asphalt on our elementary school play ground. It was great in the winter time. We would kick chunks of hard pack snow and Ice out of the playground and sit on them down the metal slide. That was fast.
Then there was the 20’ tall metal slide in Lewistown MT, right next to the minuteman missile. At least that was on grass. In the winter with frozen ground it may well have been concrete. It was still there 10 years ago. I made my kids go down it. My wife would not climb the ladder.
Looks they took it down.

symmesPark-1584412582.jpg

But was like this. Not the exact one but pretty close, no bumps to slow you down.
Vintage-playgrounds-from-1940-at-Click-Americana-General-Playground-Equipment-Inc-3-750x559.jpg

Last edited:
We had a tall timber tower with ropes you could swing out and back into a tire next. This picture doesn't show it well but the anchor point for the rope was probably 10-15' away from the tower. The second lower rope swung out around the support, you'd then kick off one of the other post and return. Long gone.

This actual one...
RSCP-Jungle-Gym-1200x720.jpg

Alan

Nothing like a 10 ft tall metal slide surrounded by asphalt on our elementary school play ground. It was great in the winter time. We would kick chunks of hard pack snow and Ice out of the playground and sit on them down the metal slide. That was fast.
Then there was the 20’ tall metal slide in Lewistown MT, right next to the minuteman missile. At least that was on grass. In the winter with frozen ground it may well have been concrete. It was still there 10 years ago. I made my kids go down it. My wife would not climb the ladder.
Looks they took it down.

View attachment 500311
But was like this. Not the exact one but pretty close, no bumps to slow you down.
View attachment 500312
We had one like the tall one you pictured in the local neighborhood playground. I never realized how high it was till I came back from the Navy. We never did the ice thing (wish I had thought of that). That slide was polished really well and you would fly down it, especially with the right 70s nylon or satin shorts on, oh and don't touch the metal with your bare legs in the summer.

Back