Removal of steering column shift linkage

Chrome58

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a console shifter in my '70 Sport Fury. When you shift with that lever, there's a hub that rotates on the steering column, where the shifting lever would have been if it was not a console (I guess).

Do we agree on the fact that this is completely useless, and that I can remove the entire linkage after the selector on the transmission (see yellow part in the picture) ?

I do not even know why they assembled it in the first place.

1689762877564.png

That is the linkage to lock the shift linkage when you turn your ignition key to the lock position.
For that matter, I removed the lock plate when I rebuilt my steering column. I'm not concerned with the "theft protection" that feature provided back in the old days, and I wanted to be able to shift the trans for whatever reason (maintenance, etc.) without having to use the key.

1689770563604.png

1970 only Chrysler floor shift. When you put the console shifter in park it rotates that collar on the column. It makes it so you can turn the key back all the way to remove the key.

If you remove this linkage save every piece, bolt and clip and sell it to someone restoring their car,

You can disconnect the linkage and the collar in the park position it’s all fine. But now If that collar gets rotated then the key won’t come collar is hooked to the lever in the lower end of the column.

I bought a taken apart car and they couldn’t figure out why the key woup dn’t come out. I rotated that collar on the column and removed the key. Bynthe look on their faces you would have thought I performed magic, they couldn’t believe it. They had plans of drills and die grinders, glad they never did it.

there is a reason for these seemingly un-necessary things.

The lock plate in the column keeps the wheel from turning with key off. Different mechanism.

Back