Removing exhaust from manifold

jbooth35

Reaction score
Just ordered and received a new TTI exhaust from stock manifolds back. Any tips on removing the exhaust from the manifold. One bolt is real hard to get a socket on from under the car due to the bend in the exhaust. I’m thinking It would be much simpler to remove the manifolds. Also the spark plug heat shield prevents me from getting a wrench or socket on the top side of the bolt. It’s a 426 stock manifold.

I do not think you really want to try and remove the exhaust manifolds if it can be avoided. The studs are often brittle and will break off and that will leave you needing to pull the heads to get the studs out. Get some PB blaster and soak the **** out of the flange bolts, they will usually come off. Most of the log style manifolds on the 426w had bolts thru the flange and the manifold so you can also use a torch if all else fails. and just replace the bolts. You can also use the torch to heat the nuts on the bolts and that will aid in getting them to break loose. Some of the exhaust bends are very much in the way and it usually will take some creativity with a couple of universals to get a socket on the bolts. If you are junking the current exhaust, you can also use the torch to cut the pipes off and get them out of the way.

Dave

Thanks Dave that’s what I wanted to hear. I probably can cut the pipe to get the space I needed. I can probably use a universal help reach, but I wasn’t sure how it would hold up to an impact. I still need to get a wrench on the top bolt to keep it from spinning. The spark plug heat shield sits right on the bolt but I could probably bend it back enough to get a wrench on it. I’m usually pretty good at tearing stuff apart, but I yet to prove I can put it back together.

We put a 2.5 inch tti exhaust under my 68 Sport Fury a couple years ago and it was fairly easy to install front to back. Like you, I left my exhaust manifolds in place and we just took our time and it all went together fairly easily. The only drama we had was when we were tightening everything up at the end we cracked the flange on the passenger side manifold. It was probably weak anyway because we didn't have it too tight when it cracked, but that was a bummer because it was the original manifold. Luckily we had a spare exhaust manifold laying around that went right on in its place and that was the only problem we had. Good luck with your new exhaust system and I hope you are as happy with yours as I have been with mine.

:thumbsup:

I don't know what clamps TTI supplies in their exhaust kits but if they are the U-bolt style units I would toss them in the garbage and purchase the stainless band clamps. Nice to be able to pull the exhaust apart easily if you ever have to down the road. I switched to the band clamps many years ago and have never used anything since.

They come in straight or stepped style depending on the the way the pipes fit together.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS31T8ei6hLhu4qtYMBoHwDpWqTXB3PJnOZcwyBXJ1BuaY3Fqg_.jpg

Finally got them off. Driver side came off without too much of a problem but the passenger side was a beast. The bolt rounded off so then I tried a bolt extractor and that just chewed off the edges until perfectly smooth. Next step was cutting the pipe with a saw so I could grind the bolt off until it separated. Those stainless clamps look nice, I may consider them although If I ever replace this exhaust again I’d lean towards finding a shop to do stainless or try to fab my own. The passenger side manifold has a mechanical spring loaded flapper inside that seems to have a weak spring. Is this an item I should replace or just leave alone or what? Hopefully I get everything back together this weekend.

Finally got them off. Driver side came off without too much of a problem but the passenger side was a beast. The bolt rounded off so then I tried a bolt extractor and that just chewed off the edges until perfectly smooth. Next step was cutting the pipe with a saw so I could grind the bolt off until it separated. Those stainless clamps look nice, I may consider them although If I ever replace this exhaust again I’d lean towards finding a shop to do stainless or try to fab my own. The passenger side manifold has a mechanical spring loaded flapper inside that seems to have a weak spring. Is this an item I should replace or just leave alone or what? Hopefully I get everything back together this weekend.

The heat riser spring is usually stainless and does not usually get weak. Spray the flapper shaft with some good penetrating oil to free it up and that will usually allow it to move freely. You only need the heat riser if you are running a stock carb. If you have converted to an electric choke, you can tie the heat riser to the open position and forget about it.

Dave

Finally got them off. Driver side came off without too much of a problem but the passenger side was a beast. The bolt rounded off so then I tried a bolt extractor and that just chewed off the edges until perfectly smooth. Next step was cutting the pipe with a saw so I could grind the bolt off until it separated.

A saw? This is why muffler shops have cutting torches, 4,5, or 6 cuts and everything is on the floor.
If you do a lot of work on vehicles it is best to get a good set of oxy/acetylene torches.
Don't want to deal with the Large Tanks purchase/lease? Get the smaller 'Scuba Tank' style.

08-30-2019.Oxygen Acetylene Torch Kit - Bing - Shopping_https___www.bing.com_shop.jpg

I wouldn't recommend eekBay or for that matter the plastic carrier style (they use to make a metal tank carrier style) but 'Free Shipping' is tempting on this item. :p
Also remember you have to refill the tanks so I would suggest you deal with your local supplier like Airco/Airgas as many today will refuse to fill unknown/eekBay type tanks.

You will live a much less cuss free life and your knuckles will thank you!

I don't know what clamps TTI supplies in their exhaust kits but if they are the U-bolt style units I would toss them in the garbage and purchase the stainless band clamps. Nice to be able to pull the exhaust apart easily if you ever have to down the road. I switched to the band clamps many years ago and have never used anything since.

They come in straight or stepped style depending on the the way the pipes fit together.

View attachment 313182

tti offers both band clamps and U bolt clamps but you have to specify which when you order the exhaust system.

Some pics of how the exhaust is packaged. I got the mid hangers installed and began assembling the drivers side piping today. Hopefully I’ll get close to finishing it up this long weekend. I never got the opportunity to ask TTI for band clamps and they didn’t offer over the phone so I’ll just go with the supplied ubolt clamps.

01C98141-EA15-4F96-81D7-EFAD7D73E527.jpeg

469E095A-B120-4B0A-8E7A-300EE78CFA1B.jpeg

F057768A-40B3-4626-8D43-7810A1BD1853.jpeg

Back