Reproduction Center Console Door

motorama55

Reaction score
I recently purchased a repro 66-69 MOPAR B body center console door to replace the one for my 66 Chrysler 300 console. They are the exact same size and fits perfectly. However, on my console, the center ribbed section has painted black accents between the ribs and on the repro lid the ribs are solid chrome with no black accents. Wondering if anyone has purchased this lid and was successfully able to add the black accents to it?

Console Lid.jpg

On way to do this is to paint the whole section, and then use a rag with paint thinner (or acetone) and then wipe delicately the surface. The paint will stay only in the grooves.

I used this technique for the "PLYMOUTH" insignia on the hood of my '58.

One thing to remember is that the OEM paint was satiny rather than gloss, usually, and the paint was done quickly rather than "painstakingly". Which can explain why there might be some light spots near the top of the ribs' sides on the OEM items. I'm suspecting the OEM had a template they put over the item prior to painting, to decrease "clean up time"?

Might be better to use some lighter coats rather than "better" coats, stopping before things get "too good". Which can be the better part of valor.

Of course, do clean the surfaces with solvent to remove oils, "debris", and silicones prior to painting.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

One of the other differences that I've noticed between my original console door and the repro one is that on the original, the center ribbed section is attached with 4 fasteners on the underside and can be removed whereas on the repro one the ribbed section is molded into the lid and is not removeable. I'm guessing this was originally done so the ribbed panel could be swapped with a woodgrain panel for use on the New Yorker models. I mention this because having the ability to remove the ribbed panel and work on it isolated from the door makes trying to detail it a little easier. I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across a NOS ribbed center console panel?

One of the other differences that I've noticed between my original console door and the repro one is that on the original, the center ribbed section is attached with 4 fasteners on the underside and can be removed whereas on the repro one the ribbed section is molded into the lid and is not removeable. I'm guessing this was originally done so the ribbed panel could be swapped with a woodgrain panel for use on the New Yorker models. I mention this because having the ability to remove the ribbed panel and work on it isolated from the door makes trying to detail it a little easier. I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across a NOS ribbed center console panel?
You sure? My original (I assume) had cast ribs under the brushed metal top. The brushed metal top was bolted through the earlier ribbed top.

I don't feel the ribs are as defined on the reproductions.

Alan

There are a number of instances where Chrysler added an appearance surface over the top of another one to make a new part.
As an example - under the brushed metal insert of a 68 Sport Fury taillight lies the ribbed surface of a 68 Fury III light.

On way to do this is to paint the whole section, and then use a rag with paint thinner (or acetone) and then wipe delicately the surface. The paint will stay only in the grooves.

I used this technique for the "PLYMOUTH" insignia on the hood of my '58.
Another technique from the model-car arena is to wipe with a piece of paper or other material, maybe paper taped to cardboard for stiffness, to pull the paint off the higher surfaces and leave the valleys painted.

Back