Rescue Project

1966FuryVIP

Reaction score
In mid-April, 2012, I got a call from a freind of mine that runs one of the hulk hauler trucks and takes cars to the crusher for recycle. He said he had a big car I might want to look at for building a freeway cruiser :yes: for the wife and I. It is a 1966 Fury VIP, B383 four barrel engine, auto trans, power steering and brakes, with factory air. The story goes that the previous owner built the car for his daughter while she was on duty in Iraq in 2006. He built a sleeper street racer with a big lump crane cam and high stall torque converter. The engine had a spun bearing and will be back from rebuild today. No rust to be found and all of the original parts are here with the exception of the wheels, which were upgraded to five American Racing Torque Thrusts:eek:ccasion16:. I have posted a couple shots in the photo gallery under 1966 Fury VIP. If anyone out there has one and is willing to advise on some questions, please let me know.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Good save, it was going to the crusher just as pictured rims and all?

Five Rims and all, even has the original jack and upholstery, which is in pretty sad shape, being fabric! And, my father-in-law had passed away the day before so we were in Yreka Ca. on our way to his memorial when I got the phone call. I had to trust my buddies to get the appraisal right, and did they ever pass the test. I need to find a left front fender spear, an original antenna, and make the engine run.

In my humble opinion :imho: I got one hell of a deal!

I paid the same $$ for a set of four used 14" ARE Torque Thrust rims with tires to spruce up my '49 Chev Coupe as I paid for this gorgeous Mopar. So to sum up, the space between and above the rims and tires is filled for FREE!

Do you know anyone with a Vacuum diagram for an air conditioning setup on the 1966 383? I need one bad!

Thanks for your interest, Jerry in Washington.

When that lady that owned this Fury came back from Iraq she must have had a real attitude. I put the engine back in and got it running today, 5/27/12. Not only had she spun the 7-8 bearings, the trans is slipping a bit. This might be from sitting for three or four years but I think she just flat worked it over. I am still quite please with myself for the bargain. New engine and all I into the car for less than four modern monthly payments. Best of all, I understand most of what is happening under the steel football field out front.

Great news, congrats on getting it running in short order. I have a service manual for my `67 Imperial and also a `68 Plymouth service manual that I would be happy to scan and email pages out of for you on the ac diagrams, should be same as `66 I would think.
BTW, Sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

Thanks for the offer of vacuum diagrams. I bought the service manual for the 1966 Fury off of Ebay and it has a section on air conditioning. It covers the various cores and all of the controls under the dash, but, no vacuum diagrams.

Condolences appreciated. Don was 97 and not very happy about living in bed most of the time.

Got the trans slippage figured out today. The stop collar had slipped passed the crimps and was giving a false full reading. At seventy I should have known better but, other things were on my mind. Start sanding for paint this next week. Will also start looking at interior suppliers. I want to drive this car to Las Vegas in September. We are going to the Barrett and Jackson auto auction at that time.

Thans Bill. This is just exactly what I needed. I am going to have to pull some of the AC and heat out to gain access to parts that need attention and knowing how it goes back is going to be good.

Give your Thank Yous to the Powers that be that it isn't ATC II
43.gif

Atc ii

I guess that is a real crowd pleaser, huh? Nope this car has a simple, if one can call it that, air conditioning system. I did have to order a new water control valve as mine kept dumping a pint or more coolant on the floor boards every time the engine ran.

Yesterday I ejected some of the woodshop toys from the garage and now can put both collector cars in there. It looks good with the '49 Chev Sport Coupe in one bay and '66 Fury in the other. At least I can do some of the necessary reconditioning work out of the rain. Yes, it does rain in the wonderful Northwest! Give the weather a 10% chance of rain you'd best get the slicker out!

Back