Rescued Just in Time!

Another Mopar unicorn:

There were at least four Hemi 4 door sedans built in 1966 even though they were never offered normally.

Somebody must have had some pull on the boss upstairs on these….
One of these unicorns came to Finland as new. A 1966 Plymo Belvedere 4d Sedan with a 426 Hemi. It was light metallic blue. The first owner was the owner of the official Chrysler-Plymouth importer in Finland, late Mr. Aarne Berner. The car still exists.

Five '66 Hemi Coronet four-doors. Three sold in the US (with the red and white cars sold at the SAME dealership in Wichita, KS!) and one green car, plus a tan/brown car that went to Canada, with the fifth car (blue) sold new in Finland. All were automatics. I have pics of both of the Kansas cars at the WAM Mopar show in the mid-1980s that I need to dig out. BTW, the white car (KS) in Garlits' collection was NEVER a cop/FBI car, ever! Nor were any of the others.

A 1970 Newport Custom with E86 is a unicorn for sure. I’m glad you saved it. With 3.23 gears it won’t quite run like the ’69 Newport with 2.72 gears which went 145.3 mph at the Chelsea Proving Grounds back in the day, but I’m sure that is not the point at this time.

Got a pile of documentation with this car as well including the original window sticker, sales option check list, the original 1970 Iowa title, warranty cards, etc!! Found the obituary to the original owner and turns out he was a thermonuclear engineer for the military through the '50s &'60s!! And was also big into racing thus order this Newport with a lot of good stuff to tow his racecars!!

TNT 440
Tow Package
Sure Grip
A/C
REAR seat heater & defrost
Am/Cassette stereo radio

One expensive Newport when it was new! Hopefully a broadcast sheet or two survived in the car. Looks like the seats never been out of it.

View attachment 584375
I used to have a 70 TNT 4 door Newport Custom. You should grab all the parts I saved. Need perfect door panels? Etc…?

Back