Restorations 100% original or make it your own

That being said, do whatever you want with it, just don't call it "restored" if it isn't put back to the way it left the factory, or at the very least, the way it could have left the factory.

If "the way it could have left the factory" is your criteria, it can't be. Ever. I'm not aware that the factory ever used rechromed forty year old parts, used chinese made carpeting, radial tires, patch panels, painted dash inserts rather than anodised, sealed beam headlights etc etc etc ad nauseam. The best you can get is "factory appearing".
Bullchit. By your criteria, it would be impossible. WTF does one have to do. Find air bottled in 1965 to put in the tires?

Posted via Topify on Android

when you put all the time into restoring the one car you really want to keep and drive, do you keep it 100% original or make a few adjustments here & there to make it your own.

It's "original" now. No matter what you do to restore the car ........ It will never be "original" again.
Make it safe to drive in todays traffic, add disc brakes, upgrade the suspention, install radial tires, and a good sound system will be nice
Make it your own. The value, if that is important, will probably increase with the upgrades.

Just lay off the cartoon wheels, tinted glass and non era paint colors.

I always try to stick with the original look of the car.
I bought it because I think it as a perfect looking car so i will not change anything and destroy the exterior design. i always put the original color, decals and everything.

On mecanical parts, no i do not think that NOS parts is the best way to go.
I think that I must use the best possible parts ( it means, if possible, parts made with modern material and modern processes for old cars ) but it is no always possible. For exemple, when I rebuild the front calipers, I bought pistons seal that were so awful that I put back the old U.S. made ones and they are still perfect.
When I do a change, I always keep the old part to remember how it was before if someone want to do it the strick original way. ( for example : my imperial carpet : I change the color but i'll keep a small part of the old if someday someone, or me, wants to put a matching one. )

If "the way it could have left the factory" is your criteria, it can't be. Ever. I'm not aware that the factory ever used rechromed forty year old parts, used chinese made carpeting, radial tires, patch panels, painted dash inserts rather than anodised, sealed beam headlights etc etc etc ad nauseam. The best you can get is "factory appearing".

Ok, call it "factory appearing", I'm not talking about a "survivor car". My point is you see too many cars with Cragers, and every Cal Custom piece of crap tacked on them that they could get at K-Mart, and then call the car "restored" As for "the way it could have left the factory", I was referring to available options, and even that might be going too far. And yes, sealed beam headlights were used in '66.

Yea I thought halogen, typed sealed beam. The point is no matter what anyone thinks restoration isn't keeping the car "original" or "factory". It's only factory original once. And I'm quite over all the folks around here acting like 'vette owners if a car isn't done to their standards. I'm not picking on you, it's just you comment that I finally decided to respond to. In most cases the cars available these days are far from factory original.

For a four-door, I'd do it up the way I like it; especially if it's going to be a daily driver. Build the car the way you might have ordered it new. Or, tasteful mods (lowering, different color in and/or out, wheels & tires, etc) are always good. Enjoying the cars is what it's all about.

For my wife's '78 NYB Salon, all I'm doing on it (non-stock) is putting in a later-model Chrysler stereo and upgrading the speakers and wiring. It's already had the LeanBurn removed, so that is already gone. My Imperial, however, is staying as stock and original-appearing as I can keep it, as there were just 514 '66 Imperial Crown ragtops built.

Original is just that ......... original.

[h=2]re·store[/h] verb \ri-ˈstȯr\ : to give back (someone or something that was lost or taken) : to return (someone or something)
: to put or bring (something) back into existence or use
: to return (something) to an earlier or original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

I simply call my Barracuda "Resurrected" it wasn't about restoring it but more about giving it a second life. With that car I chose to do upgrades like 4-bbl, but it was done to like the factory.

In this hobby I find way to many people taking terminology way to literal, "Frame off restoration", ..."it doesn't have a frame"... whaa whaa whaa, same difference we get the idea.

I can accept the use of the word restore on other than factory like restorations, they're not trying to pas it off as factory like.

Alan

The term " factory" is factory correct or appearing. If someone does a car in NOS or correct restoration parts then it is considered to be factory.......

Lighten up dude.....

The term " factory" is factory correct or appearing. If someone does a car in NOS or correct restoration parts then it is considered to be factory.......

Lighten up dude.....

Thank you.

Back