Restore 67 / 68 door handles

CHS 67 Imperial

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The woodgraining on the 67 and 68 door exterior door handles don’t age well and are hard to come by NOS. So, I thought I would try to recreate the woodgraining after re-chroming the handles.

First, I stripped the metal plate with acetone to bare metal.

Then, I used a self-adhesive (sticky backing) woodgrain laminate from Custom Auto Trim in San Diego (5663 Balboa Ave, #407, SD, CA 92111. ) It is manufactured by 3M.

Part No :DN-WGMAHG -LP17
3M DiNoc Wood Grain Vinyl Wrap - Mahogany.
Size :Large Laptop Size Sheet 17.5 in. X 12 in.
The cost was about $65 with tax and shipping.

I cut a piece a little larger than the metal plate. I pressed the metal plate on the vinyl, wrapped the vinyl around the other side, and then trimmed with a razor blade. I used a little super glue on the edges, although you can order a surface primer pen instead, which is probably good idea.

Next I sprayed on a clear acrylic coating from Krylon, front and back. It would be easy enough to simply replace the vinyl wrapping every few years if it does not weather well.

I think the result is pretty good. See the picture of the originals with the vinyl replacement. My original pieces seem to have more red coloring than some others.

original.jpg

completed.jpg

1000002459.jpg

original vs replacement.jpg

The woodgraining on the 67 and 68 door exterior door handles don’t age well and are hard to come by NOS. So, I thought I would try to recreate the woodgraining after re-chroming the handles.

First, I stripped the metal plate with acetone to bare metal.

Then, I used a self-adhesive (sticky backing) woodgrain laminate from Custom Auto Trim in San Diego (5663 Balboa Ave, #407, SD, CA 92111. ) It is manufactured by 3M.

Part No :DN-WGMAHG -LP17
3M DiNoc Wood Grain Vinyl Wrap - Mahogany.
Size :Large Laptop Size Sheet 17.5 in. X 12 in.
The cost was about $65 with tax and shipping.

I cut a piece a little larger than the metal plate. I pressed the metal plate on the vinyl, wrapped the vinyl around the other side, and then trimmed with a razor blade. I used a little super glue on the edges, although you can order a surface primer pen instead, which is probably good idea.

Next I sprayed on a clear acrylic coating from Krylon, front and back. It would be easy enough to simply replace the vinyl wrapping every few years if it does not weather well.

I think the result is pretty good. See the picture of the originals with the vinyl replacement. My original pieces seem to have more red coloring than some others.

View attachment 646544

View attachment 646545

View attachment 646546

View attachment 646548
Good work! Where did you get the handles re-chromed?

I was lucky, I found a chrome shop only 25 miles north of me in Morgan Hill, CA (just south of San Jose.)
Given that I am in California, I thought I would have to go many, many miles for chrome work. It is called The Best Chrome.
I also had them do the bumpers, trunk trim, grille parts, hood trim, and a few other things. They have my hub caps now for polishing, which I will repaint afterwards.

The car in still in the paint shop; should get it back next month.

The ‘68’s didn’t use the woodgrain, I think they were just brushed stainless.

It's these little style details I love about Imperials.

Back