Resurrecting Polara_500's Red beast

Polara_500_Jr

Reaction score
That's what he always called her anyway.

Many thanks to @HWYCRZR for the assist this weekend getting a start. What seemed like an impossible task for me, looks much more achievable after walking through it with him.
Also to @LocuMob for the encouragement to get this started again. It's been a tough one to tackle, the car has been like a brother to me, Dad loved this thing and passed it along, she needs to be on the street again.

When dad passed 2 years ago he left this car in many pieces. Marty and I managed to get the new clutch and transmission in, along with the driveshaft.

He also had everything from the heads up taken out. Lucky for me the heads were done, bagged and sitting next to the car to go back on. We found gaskets, found the pushrods, rocker arms and all the upper parts. These have all been reinstalled now.

Dad had planned to reuse the valley pan and gasket, and I have decided to put new in. So now it's down to getting some bolts to mount the exhaust, installing the intake, carb, wiring and bolting all the accessories on.

Then we see if she fires up.

71424027635--21F8F429-5D93-4508-81E6-35B6957CD156.jpg

71424028530--62BC2FDC-C0C1-4CB7-A08E-7CF93BE68511.jpg

IMG-0325.jpg

IMG-0326.jpg

I enjoyed the drive up there and I like mechanical stuff so it was a great day until the wheels fell off. Literally. Any members in Somerset, PA. May need the lay of the land

I had a little trouble focusing around lunch time.
But we got something accomplished. The hardest part was figuring out the logic on how and where the bolts were sitting.
Anyway the most miles I put on my car this summer.

Happy to help. Mike helped me out a few times with parts a special tool’s when I was restoring mine.

The trip there.
3142D67A-927C-4EFE-85EA-3E50B8300CD9.jpeg
97BEEB17-ADC4-497F-885E-86F61EE7DA8B.jpeg

Hey @Polara_500_Jr - tell us more about your car.

From what I see, it's a 65 Polara 500 with manual transmission AND factory AC? Do tell, do tell! I will be embarrassed if this is a car I already know about, but just forgot! Senior moments coming on more frequently these days!

Hey @Polara_500_Jr - tell us more about your car.

From what I see, it's a 65 Polara 500 with manual transmission AND factory AC? Do tell, do tell! I will be embarrassed if this is a car I already know about, but just forgot! Senior moments coming on more frequently these days!
This was my dads car. Polara_500 on here. Mike Muir. I’m getting it back together finally after his passing.
Most here probably remember him a little, if not, he bought the car in 78 and it now has upwards of 400k.
I have to break down the tag but I know he always said he built her factory optional. Not everything came as it is now but everything was an option from the factory. It started as an automatic, he made it a 4 speed because, well he wanted a 4 speed…
I’m not sure about the factory AC either at this point. He started within the options, but chose all the options he wanted. That might be why I now have 3 complete cars, 3 or 4 parts cars and parts on shelves everywhere.

Someday I’ll be done sorting it all.

Last edited:
Back