Rip's New '73 Navajo

So. . . I ordered a set of KYB shocks for the Navajo. Front shocks are fine. Rear shocks are too short by about three inches. Couldn't find rear KYBs anywhere, except for a place called: Shocks Surplus which is where I got them. They either sent me the wrong rear shocks, or the boobs there think the short shocks are correct. After looking around, it appears no one has KYB rear shocks for this car. NAPA has a shock called "Performer" (apparently made by Monroe) and I think there is another cheap shock from Gabriel. What are you guys using for rear shocks on yer '73 Newport / NYKr - and maybe 71 and 72 ?

Couldn't find rear KYBs anywhere, except for a place called: Shocks Surplus which is where I got them. They either sent me the wrong rear shocks, or the boobs there think the short shocks are correct. After looking around, it appears no one has KYB rear shocks for this car. NAPA has a shock called "Performer" (apparently made by Monroe) and I think there is another cheap shock from Gabriel. What are you guys using for rear shocks on yer '73 Newport / NYKr - and maybe 71 and 72 ?

Rip: I ran into this same issue with KYBs for Ming, my '73 NYer -- see this thread starting here for a solution. I got KG4507 for the front and KG5512 for the rear. Usually I order from Summit, but Rock Auto was substantially cheaper.

I bought the shocks in March, before Ming reached @71Polara383's shop, because I was worried that the Covid disruptions might make availability an issue. I have not put the shocks on Ming yet, however, because Wyatt tells me that the Monroes that came with the car still seem to be fine. So, unless I change my mind when I finally drive Ming in two weeks or so, then I will be keeping them for Buttercup, my incoming '72 NYB.

Rip: I ran into this same issue with KYBs for Ming, my '73 NYer -- see this thread starting here for a solution. I got KG4507 for the front and KG5512 for the rear. Usually I order from Summit, but Rock Auto was substantially cheaper.

I bought the shocks in March, before Ming reached @71Polara383's shop, because I was worried that the Covid disruptions might make availability an issue. I have not put the shocks on Ming yet, however, because Wyatt tells me that the Monroes that came with the car still seem to be fine. So, unless I change my mind when I finally drive Ming in two weeks or so, then I will be keeping them for Buttercup, my incoming '72 NYB.

Thanks, Michel. I got the same KG5512s in my order from Shocks Surplus, and they are too short. I've been digging around and I think I may have found a correct shock: KYB Excel-G OEM Shocks 343159. I sent off a message to Shocks Surplus requesting full specs regarding extended length, etc. We'll see what happens. . .

EDIT: Here is a link to the shock I mentioned above:

KYB Excel-G OEM Shocks 343159

I got the same KG5512s in my order from Shocks Surplus, and they are too short.

Uh oh. Interesting, because RA shows them as correct for a '65-'78 Newport or NYer.

So. . . I ordered a set of KYB shocks for the Navajo. Front shocks are fine. Rear shocks are too short by about three inches. Couldn't find rear KYBs anywhere, except for a place called: Shocks Surplus which is where I got them. They either sent me the wrong rear shocks, or the boobs there think the short shocks are correct. After looking around, it appears no one has KYB rear shocks for this car. NAPA has a shock called "Performer" (apparently made by Monroe) and I think there is another cheap shock from Gabriel. What are you guys using for rear shocks on yer '73 Newport / NYKr - and maybe 71 and 72 ?

Uh oh. Interesting, because RA shows them as correct for a '65-'78 Newport or NYer.
Exactly they say these are the shocks for my 68. I almost bought them the other day. I may deal with someone local now encase I run into problems.

Rip, you should start a separate thread so this info doesn't get lost in the weeds.

@live4theking: I have KG5512 rear shocks on Poppy, my '70 Polara 'vert. I like them so much that got a pair for Medina, my '71 Monaco. @71Polara383 installed them in March of this year, and they are a big improvement over the rear air shocks that used to be on that car. Closer to you model-year-wise, I believe that @LocuMob has KG 5512 on one of his cars. In other words, my guess is that KG 5512s should work for you if your rear wheels/tires/springs are stock.

@Ripinator: @73Coupe has them on his '73 NYer 2dr, and they fit/work fine. If memory serves, your Navajo's mag wheels are 17-inchers and your tires are wider than stock. I wonder if this fact, possibly combined with non-stock rear spring choices, might be part of the issue -- see here for why I think so:

FWIW, with OEM wheels and tire dimensions, RA says that the shocks should be just fine:

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 4.43.39 PM.png

Last edited:
@live4theking: I have KG5512 rear shocks on Poppy, my '70 Polara 'vert. I like them so much that got a pair for Medina, my '71 Monaco. @71Polara383 installed them in March of this year, and they are a big improvement over the rear air shocks that used to be on that car. Closer to you model-year-wise, I believe that @LocuMob has KG 5512 on one of his cars. In other words, my guess is that KG 5512s should work for you if your rear wheels/tires/springs are stock.

@Ripinator: @73Coupe has them on his '73 NYer 2dr, and they fit/work fine. If memory serves, your Navajo's mag wheels are 17-inchers and your tires are wider than stock. I wonder if this fact, possibly combined with non-stock rear spring choices, might be part of the issue -- see here for why I think so:

FWIW, with OEM wheels and tire dimensions, RA says that the shocks should be just fine:

View attachment 389419

No. The KG5512s do not fit. They are about 22" long. They may fit an earlier pre-73 car. I know they fit my '66 300 Parts Car just fine, because I'm running them now. My '73 Newport needs a shock that is at least 25 inches long. Interestingly, when the local NAPA guy looked up their Proform shocks, the spec sheet indicated they were 25 1/8" long, when extended.

I would call up the guys at Firm feel for shocks. I have installed the Bilsteins they sell on a dozen cars, the ride is so much better then the KYbs that I find create wheel hop on rough roads.

View attachment 389419
Thanks

I would call up the guys at Firm feel for shocks. I have installed the Bilsteins they sell on a dozen cars, the ride is so much better then the KYbs that I find create wheel hop on rough roads.

I was thinking about Bilsteins, but didn't wanna get them, unless there is nothing else that works. And like Dave sez, they may be a little too stiff for this luxo-barge.

The three ads for the Navajo Special Edition that can be seen at fuselage.de "only" mention the JK3 copper paint, the B1KW interior with special seat fabric/pattern and orange "plush shag carpet", the "deep grain" vinyl roof (usually V1W white, but at least one V1X black example exists -- it is owned by @DeMopuar), and the V7V orange pinstripe.

Rip, if you have a chance to scan the brochure, that would be great!

Michel:

The brochure I have does not list or describe the Navajo option. The option list I have is a duplicate of the following:

http://www.fuselage.de/chr73/73chr11b.jpg

I've been away.... Just getting caught up her. NICE Chrysler Rip. Congratulations. Another cool, rare car in the stable.
So..... when do the dual quads and louvered hood get installed? :poke:

The three ads for the Navajo Special Edition that can be seen at fuselage.de "only" mention the JK3 copper paint, the B1KW interior with special seat fabric/pattern and orange "plush shag carpet", the "deep grain" vinyl roof (usually V1W white, but at least one V1X black example exists -- it is owned by @DeMopuar), and the V7V orange pinstripe.
I didn't know about the one with the black vinyl top. I think that's really rare on a Navajo.
Other than the paint/paint stripe/upholstery/carpet plus white vinyl top combo there was IMHO no difference to other Newports. Many options could be ordered but were not standard.

I also have the Bilstein shocks, too stiff for Rips car.
Stiff, KYBs have got to be the stiffest aftermarket going, my wagon smoothed out night and day when I installed the Bilsteins.
Your ride tho, happy cruising.

Stiff, KYBs have got to be the stiffest aftermarket going, my wagon smoothed out night and day when I installed the Bilsteins.
Your ride tho, happy cruising.

KYBs are between the cushy Monroes and the stiff Bilsteins. The Bilsteins will keep your car level with minimal lean but the tradeoff is you also feel every seam in the roadway..

Rip isn't doing any slalom driving.

KYBs are between the cushy Monroes and the stiff Bilsteins. The Bilsteins will keep your car level with minimal lean but the tradeoff is you also feel every seam in the roadway..

Rip isn't doing any slalom driving.

Well. . . I might try a little drifting. . .

Isn't there a Monroe Sensatrac in the right dimensions? The Sensatrac has a groove in the middle of the cylinder that allows for greater oil flow in the more-or-less center position, resulting in a smoother ride on good roads. When the road gets bumpy or the car leans and the shock piston moves towards either end past said groove the shock gets tighter resulting in a firmer ride under those conditions.

Back