Road Trip Route Advice from Baltimore to Boston

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Hey Truckers.....

I'm going to get a rental car and drive one way from Baltimore to just south of Boston (Raynham) to get my Redeye at the end of the week or early next week hopefully. GPS is telling me that driving north on I-95 is the best route to get there. Any alternative route that you would recommend to avoid driving through NYC or is the I-95 route the best route to take there???

Thanks in advance.....

on a weekday, if you can get up past the branford ct before 6am, no problem. make raynham for 7:00, have breakfast and get your car. you'll be home before dinner.

Just be aware if you on 95, you'll have tolls for the entire length of the Jersey tpk, then the GWB and again in New Rochelle. Don't know how far out of the way this would be but you might consider going through Harrisburg, PA to 81 and take to Scranton to 84 all the way to the Mass pike. The only toll that way would be crossing the Hudson river then the Mass Pike from Sturbridge MA to your exit for Raynham.

Your GPS is correct.
It's all in the timing.
Leave at midnight and you'll be in Raynam greeting the dealer when they open the gates. Google for some fantastic all night diners.
AMHIK X 1,000 drop and hook shuttles.

Take the Acela and have the dealer pick you up at the railroad station. Then take a nice relaxing drive home the way roadcuda says.
Probably around $100. You'll have at least $30-40 in tolls.

Take the Acela and have the dealer pick you up at the railroad station. Then take a nice relaxing drive home the way roadcuda says.

This is definitely the way to go. Find a seat in the Cafe Car, plug in your tablet, have breakfast, have lunch, have a Yuegling and yer there.

Train would be a great idea, especially stuck with some shitbox rental.

Greyhound from downtown Baltimore to Providence RI is $60. But still 45 min from Raynham. Also bus is bit longer than driving yourself but you r relaxed.

Bob, I gotta go with the guys above who are saying to take the train.
Take Amtrack to South Station in downtown Boston.
At South Station, take the MBTA commuter train to Mansfield MA.
Have dealer pick you up in Mansfield.
Better yet, have the dealer pick you up at South Station (<1 hr from dealer even during rush hour).

Screenshot_20200226_082722.jpg

From a guy who lived all his life in this area....
I can navigate it blindfolded.

Last edited:
95 SUCKS!

AS someone who up until a few months ago lived in Central Connecticut this is my recommendation.

95N to the Garden State Parkway in NJ (around exit 9 - 11)
GSP North to 287 East across the Tappan Zee Bridge a/k/a the Govenor Mario Cuomo Bridge to 684.
684 to 84W through CT and into MA to the Mass Pike (I-90)
Mass Pike to 495 into Raynham

Have an EZ Pass!

I'm with Kenny on this one along with the rest of the guyz Bob. By the time you calculate the time, money spent including $ spent with an out of state drop charge. Hell just crossing the G.W. and going thru' that zoo iz worth choosing either the train or the plane. LA or Chicago traffic iz better then that part of the planet you're getting ready to risk life and limb to enter. And it doesn't make any difference how many wheels your riding on and 18 just by intimidation iz safer, Jer

I've got tickets for me and Sammie to go to Nebraska by train to visit or daughter in Omaha in April. This is going to be the third long distance trip were taking on Amtrak. We're gonna hook up with Mario @MarPar in Chicago during our layover. We can't wait!

Instead of listening to your GPS battling the traffic thru NYC, like Rip @Ripinator says, you can walk around, relax and whatever. Besides, this is supposed to be a fun trip, driving thru NYC is never fun!

I didn't look at all the stops but there may be an Amtrak stop closer to your dealer. I'd call the dealer and see where he can pick you up.

Then go online, book the trip and print of the boarding pass. I've already got mine all printed for our trip to Omaha.

Bob, I have to ask a stupid question...is the price of a third party or the dealer delivering the vehicle to your driveway on a flatbed out of the question and worth avoiding the hassle of this road trip?

Bob, I have to ask a stupid question...is the price of a third party or the dealer delivering the vehicle to your driveway on a flatbed out of the question and worth avoiding the hassle of this road trip?

I would have to ask about that. It's only 365 miles. Worthy of an inquiry.

Blasphemy, if it was a Yugo or something like that sure. This is a damn fine automobile. I would drive that SOB right down Broadway in Manhattan, just because. Cut through the village and through the Lincoln tunnel.
Keep up nonsense talk like this Doc and we might have to limit your Imperials.

I would drive that SOB right down Broadway in Manhattan, just because. Cut through the village and through the Lincoln tunnel.

I don't know when the last time you were driving in NYC was Dave, but the 25 mph speed limit, cameras on every corner, cops everywhere just waiting for a "NewBie" to glance at his GPS one to many times would drive anyone insane!

Bob might as well put a light on the roof announcing his arrival!:rofl: Send your money here....
13473.jpg

Between the new bicycle lanes, the bus lanes, the truck lanes and the 25 Mph speed limit you might as well drive yourself to the precinct and turn yourself in!:rofl:

Not to mention the road conditions. The potholes have potholes.:rofl:

Back