Road wheels for an Imperial

BLIMP

Reaction score
Wasn't aware until somewhat recently while researching roadwheels on this forum that my 73 Imperial has a larger bolt pattern than the rest of its Mopar siblings. I've read about people mentioning that the GM 1/2 ton truck rally wheels are similar and have the same 5x5 bolt pattern.
Has anyone here actually used GM rally wheels on their fusie Imperial?

Apparently over the years there were 3 different sizes produced...6.5"...7"...and 8" wide.

Also, any opinions on which width would be best to use on a 73 Imperial, mainly in regards to fitment and tire size availability, would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a GM thread with info and pictures

Rally Wheel FAQ - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

15x8 is out. They'll never fit in the back. The GM truck wheels have a greater offset than a Mopar 8' wheel, such as the Volare kit car wheels. The 15x7 may be close too, but you could just buy one and see how it fits. There are thousands of them for sale on Car-Part.com. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I would do what the article author did for center caps. The ones he used look the least "truck-like". All the other centers for the GM wheels bolted on from the outside, even the '94-'96 cop car centers. Just replace the emblem with a Chrysler Pentastar, Imperial, or LeBaron emblem. You may even be able to install the ribbed cap from the early style Chrysler road wheels, as it does unbolt from the base of the cap. I would also try using Chrysler road wheel trim rings, to give it more of a car/Chrysler look.

s-l1600.jpg

4 Chevrolet Center Wheel Caps 5 Lug 1988-1999 Van 1500 Truck OEM Used GC | eBay

You can see here that the cop car center caps bolt from the outside. Using countersunk screws would improve the look.

1992-1996 CHEVROLET CAPRICE POLICE 9C1 Wheel Center Hub Cap NEW SET of 4 | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff, you shared exactly the info I was looking for. Will go after a set of 15x6.5 :thankyou:

I'm in the same boat with wanting the road wheel look, just haven't exactly figured out what to do with the center caps. The '70+ Imp wheel covers just don't do much for me.

Here's a close up of the early road wheel centers. As you can see, the ribbed dome comes off. It looks like the dome could easily be mounted to the Chevy cap as long as the emblem diameter is greater than the dome diameter. The catch is to find some affordable early style centers where the dome is good and the base is damaged. They will need to be from a low salt area or the mounting screws will likely be seized in the dome, just like the first one I tried to take apart today.

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6230.JPG

One other possible snag: Chrysler front hubs tend to stick out much further from the wheel mounting surface than Ford or GM, so clearance under non-Chrysler center caps can be a problem.

Saw some years back for just the red stick on Imperial insert, bought 'em but never did use 'em - never used the wheels either.........

I was looking for just the stickers as I found them for the Magnum 500's, but no dice. Obviously Imperial ones are going to be much much more scarce than the Magnums.

If'n you need/want some I can try find 'em. Don't remember what I paid but it sure wasn't 75 per. Although it would sure be nice to get rid of the wheels too..........

Of course the other option is to just install wheel adapters, which I suspect is what was done on the above yellow coupe.

Here's another thought that's been bouncing around in my head for years:

The '67-'73 Imperials use the same upper and lower ball joints as all '74-'78 C Bodies. Has anyone ever tried to install a spindle from a Formal onto a '67-'73 Imperial? That would have some real benefits, like cheap and easy to get rotors and calipers, along with being able to bolt the factory road wheels right on. Of course, you would need to address the rear axle too, but that's simple stuff. It's such an obvious thing, I'd have to think it was tried before and didn't work.

Hey that's a great idea, I've been concerned about finding a new set of rotors.

I think the road wheels on the yellow Imperial above look nice. The police wheels look way out of place.

Back