Road Wheels

I agree with your name calling Doug but asking about, guys know what a c body road wheel is

I know.
You know.
The original post does not suggest the OP knew.

A 13" wheel for a 64 Valiant could be called Chrysler Road Wheel. I don't want the guy to get stuck with something he doesn't want.

I'll probably be ostracized from the group as I'm not going the purist route with my '61. My saving grace is the fact it's a forward look and not a true C Body as I understand it. I'm still in a learning curve with the mopars, even though it's my favorite brand. If it was AMC I'd be leading the discussions. I do appreciate all the help I've received so far.
Don't worry what others might think; it's your car, do with it what you want.

I put a set of Road Wheels on the '62 New Yorker I used to own; looked great!

Word of caution though, whatever wheels you buy, go with 15". You car probably had 14" steel wheels from the factory; mine did. But, they are a lot wider than a stock 14" wheel. I put 14" Rallyes on my car. It looked wonderful - braked like crap!! They were simply too small for that huge 12" brake drum! When I swapped them for 15" Road wheels, all was well in the world.

I definitely plan to use 15" wheels. The discs I'm planning to use for brakes on the front won't work with 14s

Well, you may as well know the rest of the plan so you can get your forces ready for the attack!

361 engine, push-button automatic and one wheel peel differential coming out, along with the front drum brakes and factory power brake booster.
I bought a '75 Road Runner with 440 engine, 4 speed, sure grip rear with 3:73 gears and front disc brakes going back in. The 440 is from '72. The 4 speed is the 18 spline that came from a Hemi car and the rear diff is 52" plate to plate, same as my '61 Chrysler.
I also have a '69 big block complete, including the air cleaner, six pack set up going on the motor.
The only thing I really don't want to modify that I must do, is cut the tunnel from the Road Runner and put it in the '61 for the 4 speed shifter to work. Plan to keep everything that comes out of the car so after I'm gone, as that's the only way I'll get rid of it, somebody can put it back to stock if so desired.

like it!! a man with a plan. :thumbsup:

and as Snotty said, others will gripe, but at the end of the day it's YOUR car and ya saved another one too boot!

The '73 interior looks great! The back seat is a perfect fit!
The bottom of the seat dropped right into place. The back was a different story. We had to wrestle and hold our mouths just right to get it to slide in and that's without the quarter panels in place.

like it!! a man with a plan. :thumbsup:

and as Snotty said, others will gripe, but at the end of the day it's YOUR car and ya saved another one too boot!
I've never condemned another man's car and I never worried what anybody thinks of mine. If they want to pay for the procedures, then I'll build it to their specs. I don't think that's going to happen though.

I am also going to use a hydro-boost brake system, like on my 3500 series Dodge Dually, so I don't have spongy brakes, due to the Cam I'll be running, killing the vacuum in the power brake booster. Buddy of mine did that on his AMX and it worked great.

'75 Road Runner all loaded up and ready for the ride back from Egg Harbour New Jersey back to Princeton WV. Got up at 3:00 AM on Saturday morning, drove to the car, picked it up and drove back non stop. Got back in bed 3:00 AM 24 hours later. Long Day.

IMG_20170722_144027.jpg

Normally not a big fan of mods but this one I'll follow with interest.
Thanks. Hopefully I can do justice to what I'm seeing in my mind's eye.
I learned to drive in a car exactly like this with the 361 and 3 speed manual in the floor. That's the conversion I started to do, but I'm one that has a need for speed. A '75 Road Runner came available with all the running gear I could use on the For B Bodies Only Forum and I got it. Want to modernize the '61 so I feel comfortable driving it anywhere.
This is also a factory air Newport and I plan to retain the A/C. I'll use a Sandon compressor though. Worried that the 6 pack set up will hit the big plastic heat and air box on the firewall. Hate to have to modify that.

Last edited:
Just be aware that finding a good set of wheels, domes, caps, and the Road Wheel only trim rings is going to severely set you back.
You can use an aftermarket trim ring. If it's going on a '61, that little bit of originality won't mean squat. I don't have "correct" trim rings on mine and only one guy (Dave) has ever noticed.

IIRC, stockers are 6".

Later wheels could be had in 15" x 7". I think mine are off a Diplomat wagon.

8D1BF9F4-A3C4-4B22-852F-01F2C3972BB4_zpsiznzqinb.jpg
02FE16CD-6445-4C84-883C-A06377888B3A_zpsj73zqa7e.jpg

You can use an aftermarket trim ring. If it's going on a '61, that little bit of originality won't mean squat. I don't have "correct" trim rings on mine and only one guy (Dave) has ever noticed.

Later wheels could be had in 15" x 7". I think mine are off a Diplomat wagon.

View attachment 139345 View attachment 139346
All the things I'm changing on this car, I don't think a trim ring is going to be an issue.

Thanks. Hopefully I can do justice to what I'm seeing in my mind's eye.
I learned to drive in a car exactly like this with the 361 and 3 speed manual in the floor. That's the conversion I started to do, but I'm one that has a need for speed. A '75 Road Runner came available with all the running gear I could use on the For B Bodies Only Forum and I got it. Want to modernize the '61 so I feel comfortable driving it anywhere.
This is also a factory air Newport and I plan to retain the A/C. I'll use a Sandon compressor though. Worried that the 6 pack set up will hit the big plastic heat and air box on the firewall. Hate to have to modify that.

Wait....someone is parting a RR to save a C body?

IMG_4853.JPG
Go with the road wheels every time. My 69 never had them but I think they give the old girl a touch of class. It's your ride injoy it !

Back