Rob's 1961 Chrysler resurrection!!!!

'72 Blue AMX was my cuda replacement car tgat I bought new June 9th 1972 after my Cuda and I were rear ended at a stop light and knocked through two cars, destroying it .
The '77 Hornet with my son leaning against it, was a father son project we did when he was in high school. He's 37 now. 401/727 .3" 2 chamber flow masters with no tail pipes. It would set off car alarms just idling through parking lots. Never raced the car at the track, but that motor with electric water pump and fans went 10.83 at 124 mph. In my AMC Spirit drag car .It weighed 3090 pounds with me in it, so it's no lightweight .
Lifts the wheels about 3' at launch .

FB_IMG_1501976024860.jpg

orca-image-1509384049573.jpg_1509384049990.jpeg

FB_IMG_1501074456964.jpg

FB_IMG_1516162628190.jpg

Every one has been so nice to me and have pointed me in directions to get parts repaired or replaced.
Love this group and hope to participate a lot in it.
You found the best place on the internet, IMO.

The lack of negative responses to your project has a lot to do with the quality of your questions. If you had started off with "what's the biggest tire..." some of us may not have sounded as positive.

Had you started with a pristine car, I would be banging my head on the wall... The 4 speed effort is ill-advised, but I think that's a big part of the appeal to many of us... some of the sickest puppies out there love the idea, but very few ever get to pull it off.

I mean this in a complimentary way... It is funny how someone who truly appreciates a car, can't bring their self to damage or destroy a nice example. Even derby guys, who love cars, will pass along cars that are too nice to destroy. The folks who ruin a pristine car, be it derby, silly modifications, or tearing her apart as an engine donor... are the bane of anyone who really appreciates cars for what they are to us... living history, a fond memory, a dream, and a little escape from the drudgery of our daily lives.

Those who watch too much "automotive" television or spend too much time in the "automotive" aisle at Walmart dreaming of their modifications, really miss the mark when working on their old cars. A nice original, even with a few warts, or a tasteful customization... brings a smile. The folks who seem to be trying to emulate whatever disaster they saw on TV, usually just get us shaking our heads.

Funny, that even in the street rod crowd, a person who started with a prime original... was viewed with distaste, by the car folks who appreciated that one should have been preserved. The person who often thought their self to be genius, for not having to work hard at parts gathering, never appreciated the history they obliterated.

Apologies, I managed to turn this into not only why I love your project so much... but also why I dislike so many others I see.

I would say go for whatever you want to do with this build. I am just completing what some think as a radical build for my 78 NYB. I did all the mods my way and in the end have a really nice cruiser that has more than 2.5 times the power of the stock smog motor.

Hey Rob -

Great build thread, I love the styling of the '61. I especially like the gold interior :D

Although I'll never understand you "kids" and the need for a manual transmission in these great, big, beautiful cruisers, all the power to you!

Sorry I missed your call the other day, I've just been swamped at work. To answer your question, that '73 is long gone except for a few bits of stainless trim.

Good luck with the build!

James

Hey Rob -

Great build thread, I love the styling of the '61. I especially like the gold interior :D

Although I'll never understand you "kids" and the need for a manual transmission in these great, big, beautiful cruisers, all the power to you!

Sorry I missed your call the other day, I've just been swamped at work. To answer your question, that '73 is long gone except for a few bits of stainless trim.

Good luck with the build!

James
Thanks for letting me know.
I can only answer your question about this particular "kids" need for a manual tranny, as I can't speak for others. I learned to drive on a '61 Chrysler that looked almost exactly like this one. It was a four door, but had the manual, though 3 speed, floor shifted tranny in it. Just trying to recapture a little of my youth while I still can . I have a bad case of Peter Pan syndrome!!
Lot of nostalgia came into play with the decision to go manual . took a lot of thinking to get there, though.
Continued good life to you, my friend .
Pic of my mom and dad in front of the '61 I learned to drive in . Tried to find the original, but the trail went cold in Richmond VA. Supposedly the owner died. The car sat abandoned in a vacant lot. City picked it up and hauled it off .Still breaks my heart to think about it .
I think a dark red would look good with the gold interior .Your tjoughts?

IMG_20170622_110640.jpg

Dark red and gold would be interesting. By the way I'm a big fan on 61's also.
Leaning that direction right now. I also have contemplated satin black with the chrome and stainless painted gloss black. Saw a fiftys waterfall Buick done that way .It was awesome!
If I did that, I would plastidip it as I wouldn't want to permanetly paint the chrome gloss black.

Last edited:
Leaning that direction right now. I also have contemplated satin black with the chrome and stainless painted gloss black. Saw a fiftys waterfall Buick done that way .It was awesome!
If I did that, I would plastidip it as I wouldn't want to permanetly paint the chrome gloss black.
:wideyed::stop:

Red will be fine...

:thankyou:

Red is ok,

65EE27A7-5F34-4273-98F5-9D428002EB66.jpeg

But I’m partial to blue.

C48C7347-E70D-4103-93EF-1D5EA7241844.jpeg

But black is not too shabby either.

69FF1284-B652-41F9-8645-1811098BF1B8.jpeg

All would look great with a gold interior, IMHO.

Last edited:
Red is ok,

View attachment 227060

But I’m partial to blue.

View attachment 227061

But black is not too shabby either.

View attachment 227062
Decisions, decisions.
I have wrestled with this question for a long time .Not being a purist with this particular car, as I'm building it strictly for my driving enjoyment and not setting plastic trophys on a shelf, I have had all kinds of ideas on which direction I want to go. I thought that gold interior would look good with a maroon exterior and accents on the interior. Then I've thought about going back to the original white and having the seats recovered in the original materials as this car color combination is EXACTLY the same as the '61 I learned to drive in.
Then I saw an early, waterfall Buick done in satin black with gloss black chrome and trim. Looked too cool. If I did that, I'd plastidip it do I could peel it off if I got tired of it. I wouldn't want to paint the chrome and stainless black permanently. I'm just undecided on the direction I want to take it. I've still got plenty of time to let my little feeble mind marinate in it .

First....
Let's concentrate on that drivetrain.
Asthetics come much later.
Very true, but when I'm ready to put the engine in, I want to have the firewall already painted the body color. That's the only reason for trying to decide the direction I want to go.

Back